Sunday, August 26, 2007

Sunday on the Street


All of these pictures were taken on the street that runs along one side of our apartment complex. Sunday is a quieter day on the street, but you will notice that many shops and vendors are open for business. If you look in the top left of the above picture, you will see part of one of the buildings in our complex.


A view through the fence that divides the courtyard of an apartment building from the sidewalk.
Lots of vendors cook from little stands set up on the sidewalk. Note the baby in his father's arms... split pants and no diaper, a very common sight.
A little one waits patiently.
The parking lot outside the Chinese grocery store. I don't do my major food shopping at this store, but we often walk over here if we need milk or eggs or ice cream.
This is usually a street barber's stand. You can see the mirror leaning against the wall, set on a stand with his tools. Today is Sunday, so I guess he gathered his cronies to play cards instead of cutting hair.

I bought apples and peaches here today.
A typical shop, tiny and packed full of odds and ends.
This vendor had four ducklings and five or six tiny turtles for sale. Gwen and I stopped for a few moments to watch them.
Sunglasses for sale.
Another fruit stand. We got mangoes, grapes, and apples here last week.The first time I walked down this stretch of road, I felt very conspicuous and not very safe. Now that I've been up and down the street many times, I know I am still conspicuous, but I feel completely safe. It's funny how the unknown and different seem scary at first.

3 comments:

Sarah Jane said...

looks peaceful and fun. So glad you're feeling good about the area around you.

park it said...

Love the street pics - keep em coming!
Hope all else is well - when are we going to Skype? Let me know...
cm

Anonymous said...

Maybe you can come to Taiwan someday.