Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Growing Pains

Seth and Caleb are starting school tomorrow. We just left their bedroom, after laying out clothes, discussing what time they should leave our apartment to go to the bus stop, reviewing locker combinations, finding lunch cards, a devotion and bedtime prayers.


As I went up the ladder on the bunkbed to say goodnight to Seth, I was hit with an unexpected wave of emotion. Having been homeschooled up until now, Seth has never been gone from me at school all day. I think he is going to do just fine with this. He is a very easy going person, he has a smile for everyone, he loves to learn. But he and I had a great year together last year, and I am really going to miss him. I told him this, and cried a little.


I'm so happy for him, and Caleb too, to get to go to this international school. But being away at school all day is one more step away from home, and sometimes that makes me a little sad. I suppose we might at some point homeschool the boys again, but it's also quite likely that we won't. They are off to do and learn on their own, without me. That's very good, I know it is. But I'll miss my boys.

It's all part of growing up... for me, too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still miss my boys every minute of every day but "they are off learning and doing on their own and that is very good." The missing never stops. A.C.

Rebecca said...

*sigh*