Sunday, August 12, 2007

Caleb's Birthday, Part 2~ The Plans He Has

Six days before Caleb's birthday we met the Allens at church. We had dinner with their family that night, along with the Hillmer family, after church. As you may remember from the blog I wrote a week ago, entitled Sunday, after that dinner all three families went to the Hillmers for dessert. During that visit, I mentioned Caleb's birthday, and Sue Allen suggested that we all do something together to celebrate. Just the fact that Sue had that idea was miracle enough...

But yesterday it all actually happened. Late morning, after our family celebration, Scott suggested that he, Seth, and Caleb go play laser tag in the afternoon. Little did Caleb know that Rich, Lucas, and Lance Allen and Doug, Matt, and Tim Hillmer would be waiting there to play with them when they arrived. Then afterwards we all met at the Allens for dinner, cake, gifts, fun and great conversation!

It was nothing short of amazing to me. When I realized months ago that we would be in Shanghai for Caleb's birthday, I wondered what the day would be like. What would we do to make it special and fun for him, in this new and completely foreign place? I guess I didn't need to worry... the plan was already in the works.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for good and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

I hope that this birthday will be a reminder to Caleb for all of his life of the way God provides for him.

Did I mention that Lucas and Matt came home with us after the party last night to sleep over? The boys stayed up nearly the whole night, having a great time together. And Madelyn and Seth stayed over at the Allens, with Elise, Lance and Tim.



Time for cake!

Gwen gets a candle to lick.
Friends... what abundant provision... it reminds me of the theme verse of Abundant Grace Church, where we attend here in Shanghai. On the front of the bulletin is the verse, "Far more than we dare ask or imagine..."
I couldn't have imagined this for all of us on Caleb's birthday, but there it was. I'm glad God's plans are so much bigger than mine!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Isaiah 45:2
"I will go before you and will level the mountains; I will break down gates of bronze and cut through bars of iron."

How quickly God answered your request that your children find friends! He has rewarded your faith with abundant blessings! Press on.

Jan W., St. Louis