Sunday, July 08, 2007

Now We Are In China

I can't quite believe it, I guess, but we are in China. The smell as we walked off the plane through the jetway to the airport should have cemented the fact in my mind. I'm not sure what it is, but the smell is distinctive. Tonight as I was running bath water here at the hotel, I caught a whiff of it again... whatever it is, it's China.

Our flight went reasonably well, considering it's length and Gwen's age. She wasn't much for wanting to sit. The cartoons offered on the plane are pretty yucky, and our laptop battery lasted only so long for her to watch the dvds I brought for her. Playdough lasted about 15 minutes. Food was a great distraction, when something wasn't being spilled or broken. She did nap for a couple of hours a couple of times... that about sums it up. But we made it! Just as we were leaving the plane, Seth got sick to his stomach, and then after him, it was Madelyn who got green and clammy and pinched her lips together to stop herself from vomiting. Customs was super quick, and our luggage was coming around just as we walked up. It took four luggage carts to get it all... we each pushed one and Madelyn pushed Gwen in the stroller. Our driver (we are not able to drive in China... too many signs in Chinese and all that), Mr Wu, was waiting for us right outside the airport doors. He is young and smily, and I want so much to be able to talk to him! He is my first motivation to get going on my Mandarin lessons. Rain poured from the sky as we drove from the airport to our apartment, blurring the view. The kids snoozed on the way, making them groggy when we arrived. It was odd to be in the apartment again after so many months... all the proportions were different that I remembered, and of course it looks different with some furniture in it. The kids perked up a bit as they explored. Madelyn and Gwen were pleased about their long awaited bunkbeds. We stayed only a little while and then headed to a hotel where we are now and will stay for several nights while we wait for our air shipment to arrive. As we were leaving the apartment, a Chinese man said something to Gwen in Mandarin, probably assuming she could understand. She looked at me and said, "What he saying?" I giggled... we'll probably get more of that.

Gwen is definitely getting some attention, being with us. Lots of staring and whispering about her, and lots of smiles, too. Several people have commented on the size of our family. "Big family, very lucky."

Last night we crashed hard, everyone was asleep by 6:30. That meant we were all awake around 2 a.m.! We managed to stay in bed, for the most part, until nearly 6, and were down at the breakfast buffet by seven. Breakfast is pretty neat... a combination of western, English, and Chinese food. Gwen had three bowls of noodles for breakfast and ate them fairly expertly with chopsticks. Madelyn ordered eggs and was asked if she wanted them one side or two. Not knowing what that meant, she answered, "One side", and got sunny side up. Seth said, "Two sides" and got over easy. It makes sense, now that we know. :-) I tried dim sum, with a steamed onion bun and egg custard, but I also had bacon and pancakes. The combination was interesting!

This afternoon we went shopping, with Vivian, the relocation agent, along to help us. She showed us the ins and outs of the grocery store (this was a Carrefour), and I'm not sure I will be very effective without her. I guess I will be able to find some basics, at least. The dairy isle is very different, and I couldn't tell what the milk was all about... everything is in different sizes than in the U.S. Butter is a different shape, not the sticks we are used to. There are so many choices in the yogurt section, much of it being far more liquid than the Dannon we bought before. I did get a couple of bottles of yogurt. We'll see how everyone likes it! The store was very crowded today... note to self not to go shopping on the weekend, and not to take the whole family, either. We were all spent when the excursion was over. We took the groceries back to the apartment, then returned to the hotel and after a bite to eat, everyone has crashed again.

Now everyone is asleep but me... so I guess that's my clue to finish this up! Thanks to all who are praying for us. It is not going to be easy. There is a lot to be excited about... but it will all be a process. Your encouragement is so needed! We love and miss you! :-)

P.S. I have pictures... hope to get to posting some soon.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you made it and now the fun begins! I am looking forward to seeing pictures. I just can't picture your life! That is pretty funny about people talking to Gwen like she automatically should understand what they are saying! Or maybe she does?! You are in our prayers~

mle said...

So good to hear from you! I've been thinking about you almost nonstop since Thursday evening. Can't wait to hear more and see you pictures!

Glen and Andrea said...

Hi, I've been reading your blog for a while now and have found it a real blessing as we wait for a referral of our child from Thailand (We are 23 months into the process!). I've decided to introduce myself now, and say how strong you are for all the things you have done to get this far and make it to China. Your family seems so precious and you sound like a lovely, caring person. I'm looking forward to following along on your special time in China.

Andrea from New Zealand

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the note! SO glad to know you are safe, well and on your way to discovering your new home! We love you Brian and Lana

Anonymous said...

Blessings Lynne ~ God is good!!! I am grateful to have heard you are there safe, beginning again. I will look forward to your forthcoming photos! It makes such a difference to see where you are!

park it said...

Welcome to China - the land of the great past - well welcome to your future! WOW - you made it - with kids in tow and all that luggage - I love reading about your observations - from living in America we bring a certain way of looking at things - ie Dannon - vs - the drinking the yogurt - that has been added to our shelves inthe a last few years. Well it is early Monday morning- welcome to China - remember one day at a time and one Chinese word at a time and soon you will be amazed at the difference a week, a month etc can make.
Love
c & k
*bring on the pictures!!!

The Write Life said...

Lynne, I'm so glad you all arrived safely! Are you all over for a year, or will your stay be indefinate? I can't wait to see the pictures, but am glad to see that you are able to post and that you had a safe trip. I'm just starting to get back in the blogging habit again myself.

Paige

Rebecca said...

Oh, hello, hello!!! So glad you chose to move to China AFTER the advent of the world-wide web and the blog. Phew.

Great to hear from you. Thanks for letting us know how things have been so far. I'm looking forward to more news and photos.

And I'm glad you and Gwen survived the flight. You know what they say: There's only two ways to travel. First-class (or even business-class), and traveling with children....

*wink*

Anonymous said...

So happy to hear all went well with the big move! What an adventure it will be (and has been already!) You're in our thoughts & prayers! Love to you all!

~Aunt Sarah & Uncle Brad

Anonymous said...

You all have been in our prayers. Gracie loves to see he "cousins who moved to China". Can't wait to hear more adventures.

Kayce said...

So happy to hear you made it! You have all been in my prayers!! Enjoy the first few days of new experiences!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Liptaks,
We are thinking about you all the time! what a blessing to hear from you! That helped me a lot! Hope Caleb is better. You should be on your third night of sleep. When does the air shipment arrive? God can find you in China! Isn't that amazing! He sees you and loves you and I know will do amazing things thru you! Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Hi all!

We've been thinking and praying for you! Justin and I have arrived safely in Germany... Lynne, we started our blog and will have posts up soon!
We love and miss you!
Mary and Justin

Judith and Lance said...

So glad you made it safely, we are thankful for God's guidance. Can't wait to see the pictures!

Anonymous said...

Carrefour was my favorite place to shop in Belgium. I always commented on the yogurt isle as well and mentioned many times how much I miss the fluffy Dannon yogurt in the big square container and granola cereal I ate for breakfast almost every morning! In a couple weeks you'll probably have some hilarious stories about how you did something embarassing. (i.e. Do you have to weigh your produce and print out your own sticker BEFORE you check out??)...then in a couple more weeks you'll have a sense of pride about how good you've gotten and wish everyone could see you now! Can't wait to hear all the embarrassing stories!! Love you guys!
Wendy

Tina said...

so glad to hear that you all safe.
it need some time to accustom the life there. you will always be in my prayer.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have been very busy. But adventurely you will get normal for all of you. Thanks so much for taking the time to share everything that your going through. It helps us to know how to pray.

Hugs and love Mom

Anonymous said...

We have been praying for you here! I cant imagine all the new stuff you are dealing with but know you will do just fine!!

Love you!

Rachel

Anonymous said...

Hello Liptak's!! It is so much fun to read your blog and share in your adventure. Lynn, I hear your voice in my head when I am reading it. JoAnna will love it once she get's back on Saturday and is able to check on you guys. We miss you and think about you everytime we pass your driveway. Tell Gwen tazzie misses her!!

We will keep in touch!

The Bentsen's