Thursday, July 26, 2007

Heaven at City Shop

I was nearly weeping earlier today. It wasn't because I was homesick, or frustrated, or someone had gotten hurt. It wasn't because I was overwhelmed or confused, or unable to make myself understood by a Chinese speaking person.

No, it wasn't any of those things that brought tears to my eyes today. The tears were because of food, and they were happy tears. Today I finally made my way to a wonderful store, a store I had been told about by several other expatriates. It sells common US grocery products, along with some European foods. It's called City Shop, and today it almost seemed like heaven.

At City Shop I found baking powder. I found brown sugar and maple syrup. I found dryer sheets and bug spray, muffin mixes and frozen broccoli. I found Grape-Nuts and Corn Pops, ranch dressing, honey mustard, brown rice, taco shells and taco seasoning. I even found very small bags of chocolate chips! I couldn't believe my eyes.

It was such a wonderful, safe feeling to know these everyday items are available here, just a short drive from our home. I reminded myself as I walked the aisles, "I can come here again, tomorrow if I want to! These things are stocked in this store."

It's amazing that coming up on just three weeks here in China without these ordinary items brought about such a powerful reaction in me. Food is something I generally take for granted, but somehow it brings such security. I know Jesus said we do not live by bread alone, but I guess having the things I'm used to meant more to me that I realized. I think I was doing okay without the things I found at City Shop today, but I am pretty thankful that I found them, and I'm thanking God for City Shop. :-)

5 comments:

Tina said...

wow, we are so happy for you to.it sounds great.

Anonymous said...

I love vanilla creamer too... I wish we could have a cup together!
Christie

Judith and Lance said...

Judith and i feel ya on the city shop experience.
we remember when we were expats in Scotland (not nearly as foreign as your experience). It really was a joy the day I found ranch dressing and corn pops at a grocery! It's amazing how odd it is to eat in foreign places. One thing I could never get was Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, but that was probably a good thiing.


Lance Perdue

Anonymous said...

Oh yea!! So happy for you - comfort, sweet confort! love you, Lana

Anonymous said...

Lynne, how funny but I can imagine how comforted you were! I am so glad! Just to know City Store is there may allow you to branch out to try unfamiliar things knowing that you can go back to C.S.!
Mom