Monday, July 16, 2007

Gwen (and Mom!) Update

Well, Gwen slept just fine last night. Her nanny was praying that she would! I was concerned that she would wake herself up with pain as she moved in her sleep, but it didn't happen. I think she stayed flat on her back all night. She had a rough time this morning, as she was probably stiff and sore as she began to move a little after being still all night. She was pretty grumpy all morning, not able to get comfortable and letting everyone know! But she was a different girl after her nap this afternoon. She seemed to have less pain (it's so hard to know with young children, isn't it?) later in the day, and was much less protective of her collarbone area. We have to be very careful about how we pick her up, or help her onto the potty, or lay her down in bed. One wrong move causes her a lot of pain. But I think we're all doing better.

I was feeling pretty overwhelmed this afternoon, after caring for grumpy Gwen. I was also making calls to report to the doctor and to decide with her when and where to take Gwen for her next x-ray. Things like this are just ten times more difficult to figure out here.

The devotion I read with the kids this morning was from 2 Corinthians 12:9 and 10, where the Apostle Paul talks about his weakness, and how he chooses to delight in it. How can we delight in weakness? How can I rejoice about this added complication of Gwen's broken clavicle? Well, it's not really something I feel like rejoicing about, that's for sure. She wants to swim with the other kids, but can't get her brace wet. She has to wear this brace for 4 weeks. Not a good time, in the heat of summer. But Paul says he will delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships... the list goes on. Why? Because when we are weak, then God's power shows up. He is strong when I am weak. His grace is sufficient for me. His power is made perfect in my weakness. I guess this is the perfect opportunity!

5 comments:

Sara J Cook said...

I truly believe that the greatest blessings happen when we rejoice in the Lord even when we don't feel like it or have a hard time getting there. I will continue to pray for your strength, physically and emotionally. Again, my dear, I think you are amazing!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh Lynne,
What a powerful reminder of God's grace making us stronger in our weaknesses. Why am I left crying everytime I read your blog?
I am so near you in my thoughts and prayers.
May the God of peace be with you and Scott & my neices and nephews!
much love, jenna

Laura C said...

Lynne,
You guys have been in my prayers since we've said goodbye. You will continue to be in my prayers. We miss you all dearly.

L.Chatfield

Anonymous said...

I am praying for you so often, Lynne.

I've tried to e-mail and call but am having no success. Please call me and or e-mail SOON so I can get the right info and reach you myself. I'm waiting hopefully!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the encouragment! Love you!