Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Trips

I just got off the phone with Caleb. He is in Yangshuo, in the Guangxi province, on his eighth grade class trip all this week. He was tired, as they arrived quite late last night and had a full day today, but he wanted to tell me about the events of the day. (This makes me Really Happy, that he chose to call me to tell me these things!) Today they biked among the karsts that this area is known for... karsts are strange and beautiful limestone rock formations (I have seen these on our "Big Bird In China" dvd). They also spent some time at the Yangshuo Cooking School today, where they learned to make and then ate a number of Chinese dishes. This evening they hung out at the ChinaClimb headquarters (ChinaClimb organizes the trip for the school) where they participated in a workshop on juggling and had fun on the bouldering wall. Tomorrow is kyaking and watching cormorant fishing, among other things. Caleb still had to write in his journal about the day... they are required to keep a journal throughout the trip that they will use as the basis for some extensive writing projects when they return.

I am so thrilled that he has the opportunity to go on this trip and see another part of China, quite different from where we are in Shanghai. Seth leaves for his three day fifth grade trip tomorrow morning...

No comments: