Sunday, October 14, 2007

At Least I Have Something

This morning I was in the Chinese grocery store that is right outside our apartment complex. We were hunting for a rain poncho for Caleb, who is packing to leave for his class trip later today. This little store sells everything, including shoes, bikes, pajamas, etc., in addition to food. A little like a Super Walmart... but Not Really. Not at all.

Anyway, as we were browsing through the rain ponchos trying to find the right size for Caleb (no small task, as rain ponchos are a big deal here, especially for bike riders), I noticed that I recognized the tune of the song playing over the store loud speakers. It is common for Chinese stores to play American music, but somehow today it struck me funny to sing along with ABBA to "Dancing Queen" in this little Chinese grocery store. I felt like doing my own little dance right there in the aisle. It made me feel at home.

I may not be able to find things I need in the stores here, I may not be able to read the labels, I may have to guess at what a certain product is, I may not know where and when to get my produce weighed... but I WILL sing along with the music they play!

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Good For You!!