Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Progress

So just now Seth left. Just got on the elevator outside our door, to go get on the school bus alone (Caleb is on his trip) to head to school where he will get on another bus to travel to another part of China (Nanbeihu) for three days. As I hugged him good-bye and the elevator door closed, I marveled at what he is doing... and how I am handling it. I've met his teacher several times and really like him. I attended the parent meeting about the trip several weeks ago, and a friend of ours was a chaperone for the sixth grade trip last week, which was to the same place, so I heard about it from him. But basically, I have sent Seth away with people I hardly know, to a place I've never been, in a foreign country where we happen to live, to do things that will challenge both his body and mind.

Having homeschooled the boys for the years that we did, control is a big thing for me. I realized it more as the years went by, that part of the reason I wanted to homeschool was not only for the extra time with them and the individualized academic options, but also so that I would have more control over what they learned, who influenced them, what they heard, who they played with. I remember one time perhaps four years ago pondering sending Caleb to school and almost physically shuddering at the thought of losing that much control over his days. I really had it bad, didn't I?! But at that same time, as I thought about the school option, I prayed that God would show me very clearly when the time was right for him to go to school. I felt that day like God challenged me with the question..."Don't you think I can take care of him? I love him so much more than even you do." Ahhhh. At the time it was a wonderful revelation for me, but the time wasn't right yet for traditional school. I tucked the thought away and saved it.

And so now we fast forward to today. Caleb is a several hour flight away, in southern China, and the elevator doors have just closed on Seth who is heading off to his own adventure. And me, well, I feel pretty good about the whole thing. I'd say that's progress. But I'll still be praying.

2 comments:

park it said...

They say as parents - we wear our heart on our sleeves...You are so brave - I hope when the time comes for Kimberly to take that first big girl step...(camp/sleepovers/etc) I will have the strength you have and prayers in my pocket to support me thru it.
You are doing great - keep up the good work!
Hugs fm us
c & k

Kayce said...

Lots of prayers for the boys AND for you too!! Can't wait to hear all about their adventures.