Friday, October 12, 2007

More Beach

I remember many summer mornings at a little creek near our house in Ohio.... all I had to bring was a bucket and a little fish net and the boys would be happy for literally hours, catching minnows and crayfish. That little boy desire to capture a living thing is still in Caleb. He told me so, on the beach as he watched the waves wash forward and back, revealing sand crabs and little shellfish that he ran to catch before they quickly buried themselves in the wet sand. He got caught up in the chase, so intense and excited, and when he'd catch a little crab, he'd hand it to me to hold while he went after the next one. I loved watching him, seeing the little boy that still lives inside him.


Nap on the beach... doesn't that sound good? Of course Gwen wasn't thrilled about it, but we were all pleased that she did fall asleep while we were out so that we could stay and play while she napped. It worked out this way for her to nap at the pool a couple of days also.There were teeny, tiny jellyfish in the water, about the size of my thumb. They didn't seem to sting at all, just floated along. Here Gwen is holding one up to Scott, although I don't think it's visible in the picture. Playing with friends on the beach... we ran into a family that has their kids attending the same school that Caleb and Seth attend... one of their boys is even in Seth's class! We enjoyed an afternoon chatting with them and playing on the beach. We were actually in Thailand during monsoon season, which made some beaches quite dangerous to swim in. The one closest to our hotel had this sign posted. I was nervous for the kids to go in past their ankles. There were other more sheltered beaches that were safer.





5 comments:

Sarah Jane said...

I'm shocked that she fell asleep on the beach. I cannot picture Caden doing that! Does she pretty much fall right asleep for naps? I feel as though Caden is having a harder and harder time....frightening!

Sarah Jane said...

Oh, also, funny how our posts had similar feelings today. Did you read mine?

Anonymous said...

I love the little brown girl asleep on the beach. That's where I'd like to be!

Vanessa said...

lynne,

it's been sooo long since I've seen you. This is Vanessa Deel (now Tang), Gary Deel's daughter, who worked for your dad at Trinity Equipment.

It's so odd how i've been led to your blog. First I met Missy Dulin again after years of separation and today I got my hair cut by Joy Liptak. She told me about your blog and now I see your beautiful family!

How cool to be living in China! My husband is from Hong Kong and we just had a little girl, Avelyn. So strange how both your dad and mine now have chinese granddaughters in common! :P Check out my blog... er...um, I haven't updated very recently, so check soon.

God Bless,

Vanessa

Rebecca said...

Great post and pictures! Thanks, Lynne. I especially love that bit about Caleb. That's one thing I love about boys (and most men)-- they never entirely completely grow up.