Thursday, December 15, 2005

Trip to the Orphanage

We were fortunate to have an opportunity to visit the actual orphanage where Gwen lived. It was a sobering trip. However, I am happy to have seen it. I was able to take video of it and one day we will be able to share it with her. The nice part about the trip was that I was able to speak in greater length with the director (through our interpreter of course) and tell him how much we appreciate his good work at the orphanage and that we think what he and the nannies are doing is a good thing. And most of all that we are thankful for the love that Gwen did receive there. He has worked there for 20 years. The tough part of the trip was seeing how many more kids there are available to be adopted. And the toughest part was seeing those with special needs that need attention and care and love. They need funding for things like cleft palete repair. Something that would be accomodated so easily in the states, is not so easy here. Another giving opportunity...

We traveled approximately 300 kilometers in a mini-van today, each way. I got to experience highway travel in China, and I am happy to say I made it home alive. I should hope to never have to make a trip like that again in my life... and will be happy to settle back into the driving norms in the U.S. Suffice it to say- it was an extremely dangerous trip, we are thankful we had such a skilled driver.

Some pictures from y-day-

The Director Cho, and his head Nanny Chen.


A group of the nannies in the crib room.


Bath time.


Gwen now helps with the blogging...

No comments: