Thursday, December 15, 2005

Thursday with my girl

Today Scott has gone to visit Gwen's orphanage with some of the other people and one of the guides from our group. It is a three hour drive, so we thought it best that Gwen and I not go. Who knows how she would have felt returning there. We are thankful for the opportunity for Scott to see it... it isn't always possible, and the director of Gwen's orphanage had to get special permission for our group... from whom, I'm not sure! A group of us walked to a large Walmart type store in the late afternoon yesterday to buy some diapers, baby clothes, socks and shoes to take to the orphanage as a gift today. Scott took both the video camera and the digital with him, I am so anxious to see what he is seeing right now, and so glad we will have some kind of record for Gwen of where she lived.

I'm glad for the quiet day in the hotel... if we stay in, I don't have to carry her so much, and she has given me an amazing work out carrying her tiny little body around! She weighs barely 20 pounds, but it's enough to give me a sore upper body! I love that she wants me to hold her, though... how could I complain about that?! Right now she is napping... I wish you could see how beautiful she is! She has such a perfect little mouth. I think she is definitely The Sweetest Thing! After she wakes us we will go our guides' room. The one who stayed back with us today (Joan... that is the English name she chose b/c it was similar to part of her Chinese name) is giving those of us who are here today some Chinese lessons! We had one already this morning, such as it was with the busy little girls playing around us... hiding behind the curtains and laughing, sharing and not sharing toys with each other, sharing bottles (which I'm sure they did in the orphange and probalby the reason they all have the same cold and chest congestion) and getting into everything. We are at least trying to make the correct sounds and have made little cheat sheets for how to pronounce vowels. Joan also had us practicing the 4 tones of the Chinese launguage that add to it's complexity... it's fun to learn these bits and pieces., but I cannot imagine ever mastering the language. Perhaps one day our family can learn more together.

I wanted everyone to know that Gwen's itching has almost completely cleared up. I am so thankful, because it was really bad at first. She is still quite congested in her chest, and her nose is perpetually goopy. Please pray for clear lungs for her. We had a taste of the Children's Hospital the other day, and would prefer that she not need to be treated here in China. We know The Healer, though, and so I rejoice that He knows her body inside and out and is caring for her! Please also pray for Angela, the friend and travel companion of the single mom in our group. She is 3 months pregnant and is bleeding today. Thank you for your prayers.

This is an amazing journey... wish you all could experience it in some way. Thank you for sharing it with us

No comments: