Friday, December 09, 2005

On Our Way



We are on our way to China… can’t quite believe it yet, but we are in the air and according to the flight map on the movie screens, we have already crossed over the International date line. When I look out the window, I see what appears to be frozen tundra and mountains as far as I can see. Who says the world is getting crowded? There sure isn’t anything down there. We’ve tried to sleep, even taking a couple of Benedril, but it didn’t seem to have the desired effect. We’ve both read a lot, and I watched Charlie and Chocolate Factory. Just as we began to doze a little, the flight attendant brought a snack. At first we thought it was cereal, but it turned out to be Chinese noodles in a little bowl that the flight attendant came by to add hot water to… kind of like ramen noodles. We were provided with chopsticks to eat them with! Now Ice Age is starting…

To back up, we began the day at 4:30 a.m., having gone to bed last night at 12:30 a.m. or so. Seth’s dress rehearsal for “The Gospel According to Scrooge” was last night. He is doing such an amazing job with his part of Young Scrooge. We wanted to see the whole performance last night, and afterwards friends gathered around us to pray for our adventure to China. So we got home from the rehearsal after 10:30… still needing and wanting to talk with my mom and dad about details for while we are away. So the night was short! Dad drove us to the airport this morning, and we arrived and checked in with plenty of time to spare. We were so pleased to find another Children’s Hope couple, Kim and Steve, at the gate… it was fun to compare packing notes, etc. with them. We make the flight to San Franciso without a hitch, watching “Cinderella Man” on the way…good movie! We ate lunch at the San Fran airport with Kim and Steve, then ran into more Children’s Hope folks at the gate for the Beijing flight!

So now we’re really on the way… the reality of what we’re doing still hasn’t quite hit, though. There is an adorable Chinese girl a few rows ahead of us that Scott and I keep watching. She’s about 3, and has her hair in ponytails. We’re wondering how much Gwen’s hair has grown since the August photos of her that we have. I wonder if it’s long enough for little ponytails?

I think I am going to try again to sleep.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi guys! I was trying to figure out where you were able to input this - it sounds like you wrote it while on the china flight, but not there yet. Can you do that from the plane? As we thought about you on your flight, a few hrs would pass, and I'd say "Well, they're still flying and have 8 more hrs..." and later, " Well, they still have five more hrs..." It just seemed forever to us, so I'm sure longer to you.
We have about 4-5 inches of snow today, and Shann hasn't gone into work yet. Caden's new room is being painted today by he and his Dad! Yay!
Sarah

Anonymous said...

I certainly hope that you were able to fall asleep eventually. Every time I get on a plane, I can't help but think of the many Far Side cartoons that have been drawn that involve airplanes. It makes me laugh and forget that I am about to get rocketed thousands of feet above the ground in a vehicle that weighs hundreds of tons. Kind of sobbering, huh? Anyway, since I doubt that I will be talking to you on the phone, I'll ask you for a favor on this here new fangled blog thingy. Could you guys bring back some Chinese coins for me? One of each of the pocket change variety. Like our penny, nickel, dime and quarter. If not, no big deal. Be aware that we are thinking of you constantly. Wondering how you are feeling and hoping that all things go according to plan. Look forward to reading you next posting. -Shann

Anonymous said...

Scott & Lynne: This is Dad. So good to hear a word from you. So many are following the oddesy with you including and especially us. We just got back from the first performance yes, first performance of Scrooge. We have had our own version of adventure here. You got out just in time, as there was a blizzard that started about 3:00pm that day that cancelled the Thursday night perf, so tonight(Friday) was the first, and of course the kid was spectacular! Mom and I believe this will be the first of many roles. Caleb had a great time at his party, and Daniel went with us too. Looking forward to tomorrow, maybe movie, shopping or who knows. Seth must be at church at 11:00am. the beat goes on, and it's good.
This is Mom. We were so excited to find your posting! Just wanted to say that the snow plow guy deposited the whole cul de sac on your tree lawn! It was over 5 ft high! The kids were so excited. Caleb was sure the whole thing was going to melt while they were getting their school work done. They dug a huge hole in the base and attracted all the neighbor kids later in the day! Love, Mom
p.s. We were so proud of Seth! He did such a great job!!!

Rebecca said...

I cannot begin to tell you how sorry I am that I missed your phone call, and no, I didn't get any e-mail from you re. how I can contact you while you are away. So I'm using this approach.

I can't believe you are there and, despite my crazy busy-ness, am thinking of you and praying for you all of the time. I can't say I miss you: I wouldn't be seeing you if you were home; but also, I wouldn't want you to be anywhere else right now. And yet.... Well, I think I'll go write about it in my blog. And I'm so grateful that we can have news of you this way. I can't wait until you hold her in your arms.

So Much Love....