Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A Park on the Corner

Jinqiao, the area of Shanghai where we live, has a clear dividing line. On one side of Central Yanggou, an eight lane road, is where a large portion of the expat community housing on this side of the river is located. Walled-in communities with guards at the entrance are the norm. There are many restaurants that cater to foreigners. Except for outside the international schools at the end of the school day, traffic on this side of Jinqiao is fairly light. On the other side of Central Yanggao is what we call "Chinese Jinqiao." Lots of locals live here. Yes, it is still Jinqiao, but it looks and feels completely different. There are lots of apartment buildings. There are many little fruit markets, sidewalk vendors making dumplings and noodles, and shoe and bike repairmen that set up shop by the side of the road. It's a busier area, more cars, more bikes, more people.

This afternoon, after dropping Madelyn off at her dance class, I decided that instead of biking home, I would stay out and ride around while I waited for Madelyn. With Gwen in her seat on the back of my bike, I headed to the dividing line, across Central Yangguo into "Chinese Jinqio", because although it's more congested, it's much more interesting.

We enjoyed the ride, peeking into little shops as we rode and just generally people watching. Soon I found myself heading down a road I hadn't been on before. We came to a small city park, and drawn in by all the kites flying above it and displayed for sale on the hedge near the entrance, we decided to take a spin around on the paths inside it. It had the usual groups of men gathered around stone tables playing cards, and men with their huge reels of kite string carefully tending the fanciful animals high in the air at the end of the string. But here was something new... many, many little cars lined up along one hedge... turns out they were battery powered and for 2 RMB (about 25 cents), you could rent one for a spin around the park paths. We saw three year old children driving these cars, towing their parent behind them in an attached wagon! There was the ricketiest little circle of metal train track, set up on a beautiful stamped concrete patio area. A three car train circled this track playing gaudy music. Babies, not even a year old, were propped into these cars for a 1 RMB ride. There were several small bouncy castle attractions. These were 3 RMB for some period of time inside to jump.

I had only 1 RMB in the little wrist purse I had brought along to carry my phone, not thinking I would be needing any money. I gave the money to Gwen, and we checked out what things she could use it for... seemed to be a choice between the rickety train and some other little vehicles that just rocked back in forth in place. She and I sat on the edge of a raised flower bed and took in the scene. She clutched the 1 RMB bill in her hand, but didn't move to ride anything even though I pointed out the options several times. I think for both of us the scene was so interesting we were entertained just watching. There were toddlers and mamas and grandparents everywhere, and they often stopped to stare at Gwen and I and chatter about us. Most of the toddlers were wearing the traditional split pants, bare underneath, to make pottying anywhere quick and easy. Gwen noted this, and I told her about the split pants that were part of one of the layers of clothing she was wearing when we met her.

We finally had to leave this little park to go back for Madelyn. I noted the street names on the corner where it was located (Jinkou and Jinyang) so we can come back another time, maybe with a camera and a little more money. I told Gwen she could get one of the cars next time and take me for a ride.

This is one of the things I love about living in China... there is always something different around the corner, a little slice of life not on any tourbook's recommendation list.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a refreshing taste of China. I felt as if I were reading a 1969National Geographic while waiting in an old barber shop.

Andrew

Anonymous said...

Lynne, what a fun adventure! Always new spots to take visitors! Mom

Rebecca said...

Wow! What a great discovery. Next time, when you take more money, please also take your camera. :)

VJVNMA ZINS said...

Hi Lynne! I wish I would've found this park while we were there. I love the local finds...so glad you are able to experience it. Looks like Vance will be coming to Shanghai the first half of Nov.

Love ya ~ Jacqueline

Lana said...

Sounds to neat!

Anonymous said...

Thought of you today while I was at Target. A tiny little girl of Asian descent was running all around. Heard her before I saw her. . .she had on the infamous squeaky shoes! She left smiles on everyone's faces that she passed. Too cute!
Beth