Wednesday, June 06, 2007

The Zoo, Revisited

We had a fun outing to the zoo with friends yesterday. I realized when Jo-Ann and I planned this trip that Gwen had not ever been to the zoo! In fact, the last time we were at this zoo was within the week after we had gotten her referral picture in the mail. I remember carrying it with me through the exhibits, often taking it out to look in wonder at the face of this mystery child who would be joining our family.

This time Gwen was very much present, and very interested in everything! We were all interesting in watching this elephant balance on the edge of the moat encircling his habitat to reach out for some leaves on the tree nearly out of his reach. A few moments later, he was using his trunk to pick up mud to throw up on his back (to keep bugs from biting, so I've read) but overthrew and got all the innocent bystanders (us!). The kids, especially Seth and his friend, were sure that it wasn't just mud, if you get my drift!
I love the little smirk on Gwen's face here. The giraffe behind her to the left is a six month old baby. She was so sweet!

Gwen & Madelyn, and our friends Maxwell & Elliot, balance precariously on a giant loon's head!
Got to love the giant kangaroo pouch... Jo-Ann and I laughed at how the fake, statue animals seemed to be more exciting than the real ones. :-)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a really cool kangaroo statue! Where is that zoo, in your city? I just love going to the zoo, even if I have been there a million times before!