Monday, June 18, 2007

First Chinese Lesson

I just now finished my first Chinese lesson. I am taking lessons through Berlitz Virtual Classroom, with an online instructor whom I conversed with for the last hour and a half. Her name is Amy. She grew up in Tiawan but also spent considerable time in the US, and now lives in Atlanta. She was very patient with me as I pretty much butchered her native language. In the hour and a half we spent together this morning, I learned to say the names of several desk items~ book, ball point pen, paper. I answered questions like, "Is this a paper? Is this a book?" I also learned desk, chair, and floor, and then at the very end we counted to five. That's it... 90 minutes of about a dozen words. She told me the first few lessons would be slow... she was right! As she painstakingly taught me the vocabulary, she did sprinkle in lessons on how sentences are structured, how to answer questions, the tones of the language, etc.

Fortunately all the lessons are recorded so I can go back and review. I will definitely need to! Mandarin is so very different, so foreign, that my mind can hardly wrap itself around the sounds to remember them.

I think I can remember ball point pen the best... it's yuan zhu (pronounced "jew") bi (bee). I said that one a lot. I should be able to buy pens in China now!

3 comments:

The Write Life said...

Lynne,
Check out Rosetta Stone for language study! Not necessarily as a replacement of what you're doing now -- that sounds like a wonderful way to learn! -- but Rosetta is done on the computer and covers all sensory learning methods. Your children can learn from it, too. You can do samples from their website, and a lot of public libraries have it for free for members.

I know you homeschool, and this is the number one rated foreign language curriculum, and we're loving it. (Spanish for us!) They do have Mandarin.

I love reading your site and I hope to get my blog up and going more steadily in the near future. But after seeing your post, I thought I'd mention this wonderful program.

Paige

park it said...

你好声音象语言课做着正义罚款为您的第一个教训。祝愿这写在pinyin 好运气与类卡罗尔adn 金伯利

Carol

for translation - copy - paste at this site...

http://world.altavista.com/tr

Lynne said...

Paige,
Thanks for reading and for your comment! I have heard only wonderful things about Rosetta Stone, and I hope to get it. I actually watched a demo on their site a while ago and was very impressed. Berlitz is part of our relocation package, and I am thrilled to be able to have live lessons without leaving our house, but I think Rosetts Stone will be a great supplement.