Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Seeds of Hope

We're in Indonesia right now, on the island of Bali, for the Chinese New year holiday. It's a gorgeous place... warm, lush greenery, very tropical. We've been enjoying the beach and the the pool and the sun.

Yesterday our vaction took on a little different flavor. Part of the reason we came here this week was to go to Seeds of Hope children's home, an orphanage that houses about sixty children, ranging in age from three years old to twenty. The children all ran to greet us as we pulled up, calling hello and smiling hugely. They all wanted to shake our hands, and asked our names. It was a joyful welcome! They led us into a room with tables and chairs, where they all sat down while we met the couple who started the home nine years ago, a pastor and his wife. A group of the children played some local instruments for us... they were amazingly talented. Something about hearing "Amazing Grace" being played in a sweaty room by Balinese orphans... well, I know I cry easily, but it sure tugged at my heart. We learned that the children play in hotels several times a week to raise money for the orphange. After the music, we brought out some pipe cleaners and beads we had brought along... we had fun with those with all the girls and the younger boys for several hours! 1000 pipe cleaners became butterflies, spiders and spider webs, crowns, baskets, and when combined with the beads, lots of beautiful bracelets. Scott and our boys and the older boys played soccer, basketball, and catch with the football, all in a small cement courtyard.

The children were so happy. Maybe because of their wide range of ages, they seemed to be like a family. At one point Gwen fell and scraped her foot and knee, and one of the older girls took her and washed her and put bandaids on for her. Towards the end of our time there, we were all outside. Caleb was in a one-on-one basketball game with another boy. A big group of the kids watched and cheered for every basket made, on both sides. I stood with the girls and cheered. As I stood in that group of beautiful Balinese girls, with their black hair and skin several shades darker than Gwen's, I wondered if any of these kids would want to leave this home if they were given the choice. As far as I know, Indonesia is not open for international adoption right now. But maybe that's okay. These children are living in what we would consider a very bare bones environment- no AC, living right below the equator, is a big one for us soft westerners, and that's just the beginning of all the things they seem to be lacking. But Thomas and Sandra have created a family here, where the children are loved and are hearing the truth of the love of Christ. It's good.

We asked Sandra and Thomas if they need anything for the children. They're saving money for a railing on the third floor to be repaired. They need toothpaste and shampoo. Is that all? It seems like they need so much, to me. No, Sandra said, toothpaste and shampoo is all. So we'll stop at the Carrefour here on the island on our way back to Seeds of Hope this afternoon and get toothpaste and shampoo and maybe a new basketball or two. I'm all out of beads and pipe cleaners... maybe we'll draw together today. I wish there was a big project we could do for them and with them... we asked in several emails before we came, we asked again yesterday while we were there. But maybe this is okay. It's so good to be a tiny part of what Sandra and Thomas have given their lives to.

Do you ever wonder what you're doing with your life? Seeing Seeds of Hope has made me ponder... what else might God have for us?

6 comments:

Jennifer J said...

Lynne, your post is timed so well...I have been turning that question in my mind over and over recently. Thanks for sharing...what a special experience you had.

Life in the journey said...

Wow, what a rich experience! Thank you for sharing it!I am so excited for all you and your family is experiencing. Those memories will live in your kids hearts forever.

I am looking forward to seeing yourt pictures!
Love you girl.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the encouragement and spur to love. The place sounds wonderful. The last time I went to Bali, I didn't go there to serve anyone but myself. I am glad I know of the place now. We hope to go to Idonesia again one day. Jason and I both fell in love with the people and culture there.
Lisa

mle said...

Sounds wonderful, Lynne. I'm so glad you all got to do this. I can't wait to hear about it directly from your kids. I bet it was a powerful experience for them.

Heather said...

Looking forward to hearing more about your visit & also seeing pictures.

Your post could not have came at a better time. I have been thinking about how I could use my blog to help those children left behind at Zoe's orphanage. That seed just might be planted now. We'll see what happens in the next few days as the wheels continue to turn in my head!!!

Anonymous said...

Having sobbed 3/4th thru the post and left to get a tissue and then continued sobbing as I tried to read the rest of your post. I am so blessed by all of you being there with those 60 children. And yes I do wonder what you asked! Mom