Sunday, January 04, 2009

A Place I Love

The house on Millington Court has new inhabitants, as of this weekend. The family that lived there last year has moved somewhere closer to the city, and a new family has moved in. They have four small children to fill it with laughter... to play in the basement we remodeled, to get new little hand prints on the wall going up the stairs, to take baths in the funky triangular tub in the master bath. The curtains I chose are still hanging at the windows in every room. The fireplace wall in the family room is still dark blue, a color chosen by the people who lived in the house before we did. When we were in the US a couple of weeks ago and drove by the house, the twig wreath I had hung on the front porch next to the door was still bravely in its place.
We have a realtor managing the house and the tenants for us while we are here in China. He had the house cleaned before the latest tenants moved in over the weekend, and took these photos for us so we could see the state of things. He took photos of every room, all of them empty except for a Foosball table in the basement, left by one of the last two families. I downloaded and opened each one, examining every corner of each empty room. There are still some butterfly decals on the wall in the girls' bedroom, and pennants over the window in Caleb and Seth's room. The carpet on the steps going to the second floor looks quite worn and even stained... how did that happen in the eighteen months we've been away?

I'm glad there's a new family living at Millington Court. I hope they take care of my house for me. I don't know if we'll ever live there again, but for now it's still our house, and I love it.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

It is a lovely house, Lynne. I think a house is always more special if it's one you've brought a child home to for the first time, and that house was that home for Gwen!

I'm glad it's still "yours" no matter what the future holds.

Rebecca said...

Didn't you paint the kitchen red?

Lynne said...

Yes, we did, but not in the prep area. It was the wall leading into the family room and the wall with the sliding door leading out to the deck. I love that red!

Heather said...

Love the fireplace. I've always wanted one. Perhaps when I retire the old folks home will have one!!!!