Thursday, January 29, 2009

A New Child at Seeds of Hope


Yesterday afternoon we went back to Seeds of Hope. There was a darling little boy there in a striped polo shirt, tucked into dark blue jeans. He had big bright eyes. I recognized that he had not been there when we visited the day before. Sandra whispered to me, "A new child today." As I questioned her, I found that the woman with him was his mother, bringing him to the children's home because she must work and there is no one to care for him while she is gone.

I was incredulous. Could nothing else be worked out? Will she just leave him at Seeds of Hope during the day and come get him at night?
No. This is it for this mother and her very small son. He will live here now.

As it turns out, this is the case for many of the children not only at Seeds of Hope but also at the other children's homes in Indonesia. There is no free public education here, so a parent's best hope of helping their child have a better life than they do, is to send them to a children's home where they will be sent to school. The education costs for the children at Seeds of Hope are paid for by a church in Ohio somewhere...

Okay. So the parents can come visit their children here? Do they come often?

No. They can't afford the transportation. But at Seeds of Hope they try to take the children to see their parents twice a year.

Sigh. Sigh. So different from anything we can imagine.

I asked Sandra how the children adjust. It is as you might expect. It is very hard for them at first. But Sandra said she tells the children that she loves them, and that they will be able to get an education, and eventually they are okay.

As she and I were talking, I heard this new child crying. And crying. The mother had left. Sandra directed one of the older girls (did I mention that Sandra had a stroke several years ago and is herself disabled?) to go get the little guy. I watched her carry him around for a little while, and then bring him to the table to join the other children who were cutting colorful paper.

Free public education. What a concept.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Lord has anointed you to describe these visits to us. I pray God not let up on us as a family to continue doing those things He commanded,i.e. give a cup of water, a piece of bread, a piece of clothing, some pipe cleaners, some things to laugh about, a touch of love. God bless you all for doing that. May He continue to convict us. Thanks,
Dad

Heather said...

Wow! My heart just breaks for this little boy & his mom. I pray that both of them will find peace in the days to come.

Sarah Jane said...

ick.

Anonymous said...

Oh Lynne, this made me cry. I went to Indonesia before I was married. I was looking for a job there at an international school. In my travels, I met a Christian man, who was a principal at a school. He asked me to go to an Indonesian university to get a masters degree in education so I could learn the language. And then their church wanted to give me a house so I could teach children that could not go to school, as an underground service. And now I know why! It is outrageous for kids to get an education there, not because of the schooling itself, but they have to have a uniform and extras. The market bumps the price so high for those things that poorer families could never send there kids to school. I just told Jason your story. We both love Indonesia. He asked me if I think we need to do that... We should not be quick to judge these parents. From what I have learned here and even with my own mother's upbringing, their hearts sometime can not find a better solution for their child. They see it as love. We have no idea what it feels like to survive day to day.
Lisa

Lynne said...

Lisa, I definitely agree that the parents are choosing this way as the most loving thing they can do for their children. The education means a different life for their kids, something they cannot give them. It is most certainly done out of love... just like Chinese parent will "leave a baby to be found." They are trying to find a way out, a better life for their child... their methods are so strange to us who have enough, but it is love that compels them.

Anonymous said...

This is breaking my heart. I must go give mine a kiss and tell them that I love them. America has her own problems, but this is eye opening. May Jesus shine in to these children!
C.

Lana said...

Wow, Lynne. Thank you for sharing all that you are being exposed to. We need to know. We need to pray. And we need the perspective. Miss and love you.