Saturday, January 28, 2006

Pretty Girl, Pretty Dress


A pretty girl in a pretty dress... the right dress can somehow make a girl feel beautiful. The act of putting on a dress temporarily transforms a girl into a princess.

When Gwen tried this dress on for the first time, Madelyn sighed audibly and immediately said she wanted to try it on! I explained that of course this dress would not fit her, so then she said, "Can't I get one just like it?"

Why did she want a dress like this? I know why, because I would have wanted one like it when I was her age. The skirt is full and swishy, there is a sash that ties in a bow in the back, and the collar is round and feminine.

It's the same reason girls sometimes think it would be fun to live in "the olden days", when women always wore dresses. A dress sets you apart from the male sex completely. In a dress, you are most definitely of the female gender. No mistake.

It feels good to wear a dress.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a dress in 4th grade that was similar to this style but was a brown-floral pattern. I lived in a community that had a large Amish population--Berne, IN. I would wear my dress to school and pretend I was Amish (didn't realize you're generally born Amish--it's not a club you join!) I even had an Amish boyfriend named Amos whose father would drop him off...in the horse-drawn buckboard...and he would bring me candy corn every day at school. True story! Anway, a dress can truly conjure up quite an imaginary world that is still vivid in the minds of "grown up princesses". How fun it will be for Madelyn and Gwen to grow up together. :O)

Anonymous said...

I agree completely! I'm so excited to put dresses on my new little girl! - Sarah