Tuesday, August 17, 2010

So Soon, School

School hasn't started yet, but Gwen loves it already. She spent about 20 minutes in her classroom at Concordia with her new teacher at orientation on Monday, and she is now extolling her virtues. One is that she "talks beautiful." (She has a lovely Australian accent.) Gwen has been counting down the days until the school year begins, and now there is only one more day!

Yesterday, when there were still two more days until the first day of school, we busied ourselves with the first "homework" from Gwen's new teacher~ labeling the school supplies. Gwen painstakingly wrote her name on each marker, a task that I had wondered if she could complete successfully, considering the roundness and narrowness of the markers. Didn't she do a great job?

As I laid in bed last night, I thought back to the growing line of those markers on the rug as she completed each one, and I knew I wanted to take a picture of them this morning. Definitely a moment in time. :-)
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

park it said...

kinda another rite of passage...

K visits her teacher Thursday - and school starts Monday - New school New Teacher - :-) (I think we got a good one as they say...)..time will tell!
Love ya
c & k

Jennifer J said...

Dear Gwenny,
I hope you have a great time at school. I start next Thursday!

Love,
Kate

Rebecca said...

Wonderful photo, Lynne. I'm so glad you took it!

Anonymous said...

Very nice photo, it says a lot. You also reminded me to label the kids supplies!

Anonymous said...

I sensed what an exciting time this is in Gwen's life! When I asked her about it this summer she didn't have the excitement. It took being closer and having a taste of it first. Wouldn't it be fun for just a time to experience first grade once again! Mom

Sarah Jane said...

I love this picture. Definitely a moment in time!

sarah said...

What a great picture - I can only imagine home much determination and effort that must have taken her! I also thing australian accents are beautiful :)