Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Birthday, Here and There

Caleb's 16th birthday was last week. I remember saying to Scott, in the weeks and days before his birth, especially after my due date had come and gone and there was still no baby, "There's just nothing to do until he comes." Ha! Little did I know... a whole new phase of my life was beginning, one with plenty to do in it, starting with two active little boys and going from there. But Caleb was the first, and now he's not a little boy anymore. I'm loving watching him mature, as he is "going for it" in many areas.

Pa and Nanny had a special celebration for Caleb while we were still in the US, with little cousins and aunts and uncles in attendance. We had a gathering for him here in Shanghai as well, with our dear friends, the Allens, joining us for dinner less than 24 hours after their plane landed in Shanghai.
There's no driver's license to obtain for an American kid in Shanghai, so that rite of passage will have to wait. But Caleb has a pretty sweet new bike parked outside, and a stack of letters of wisdom from men that love him, to carry him into his 17th year and manhood.

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

Bill was so pleased to be asked to write. I know that all of the letters will be such an encouragement to him.

He is a precious boy, indeed. I was just recounting to Nat and Rachel the story of "our" first baby and all he meant-- and means.

You are a wonderful mother. I am still so glad that you went first. :)

Kristen said...

Happy Birthday Caleb! He's obviously such a great guy!

Anonymous said...

Loved seeing the pics of Caleb's birthday in Shanghai! Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

What is the letter thing? Is it a tradition or the beginning of manhood. Tell me more about tradition if you have time.
Lisa

Laura said...

Happy Birthday Caleb!!
What a big 16 year old Lynne - he looks as if he's grown since I saw him in April. Wish I could have celebrated with you all..