Saturday, August 07, 2010

And Again

Once again I sit in the Admirals Club in the O'Hare airport, waiting for the flight to Shanghai. We've just finished our third summer of visiting the US for the hot weeks of Shanghai summer. Now the kids and I head back to our home away from home for the fourth year of our sojourn in China. Scott has been back there for several weeks already. It's wearying in some ways, this being away from our own space and having our family separated for some of the summer weeks. But its also wonderful to have this kind of time that is so very different than our other life in Shanghai, with our extended families in the green of the Midwest.

We think we have two more school years in China, so that means next summer will be our last of this kind, where we leave our home for the summer and travel around the world to be with our extended family. I made a comment in a post a few months ago about how sad it will be to be on that final flight coming home from Shanghai someday, knowing that we wouldn't be returning there in the fall. I'm glad that final flight is still a couple of years away, as we still have lots to look forward to in our "China life," but this morning, on the early flight from Cleveland to Chicago, I had an inkling of the relief we might feel to no longer be doing this back and forth. Someday. :-)

So in a few hours we'll head out for the long flight, the fourteen hour one, to go home to Scott and China. I am still incredibly grateful for this whole experience of living on the other side of the world, and although it will be good to have it end in a couple of years, I'm glad it's not over yet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is special to have that place that very few have around you. A place that is far from the norm here. I talk about it some days and I choke up. I have missed the noise on the streets, the dancers and singers in the parks, the option of subway, bus, bike, taxi, walk, or moped. Trying to understand where people are coming from in a world that is rich in culture and not loosing face. I hope you can also take in these two years with even more of a glimpse into His kingdom work there. I loved that you were part of my life in Shanghai. I would have never known you in the US. Your passions and gifts were edifying.
Keeping sharing the two years with me.
Love Lisa

Anonymous said...

That is well put Lynne! God has blessed you incredibly with friends, schools, experiences that have so enriched your lives. We too are thankful for it for you! Love, Mom