Thursday, March 11, 2010

School Birthday Party

This morning was Gwen's school party. Her teacher does such a great job of making birthdays special, with a crown, throne, birthday song, gift and games to celebrate. The birthday child is encouraged to bring a little treat in for all their classmates, so Gwen put together small containers of candies for everyone that she and I chose from the bulk section at Carrefour.

Madelyn and I took in this kitty birthday cake that I managed to put together after 10 PM last night. As I was trying to figure out what to do for her cake, I remembered a post I wrote a few years ago on Caleb's birthday, about what a big deal his first friend birthday party was. I drove all over town hunting down special red food coloring to make the fire engine frosting a true red color... hmmm. Things seem a bit simpler now that I know that as long as the cake tastes reasonably good, it will be fine for kids. :-) It was fun because Caleb hung around the kitchen with me while I made Gwen's cake last night, so he and I talked about my evolution into a mom that is getting better about not stressing over things like birthday cake. I was actually please with how this little kitty turned out. I think the satin bow on her ear made the look!

Cutting the kitty cake to share with everyone.
Reading the Chinese characters with her teacher on the big birthday card from the class.
A game of "Freeze Dance"! Gwen was so pleased to have Madelyn participating.
Gwen's actual birthday is Sunday... can't believe how she is growing up!

9 comments:

Sarah Jane said...

So fun! Very impressive - doesn't look like a last minute cake!

Jennifer J said...

6 years old??? 'member when they were just little bitty girls placed in our arms? I must say Kate will LOVE the cake when she sees the pictures!

Kristen said...

Happy Birthday Gwen! Such a sweet party!

Anonymous said...

I love your smile, Gwen!! Your whole face smiles and it makes me smile. Looks like you had a great birthday celebration at school.

Huggies,
Nannie

Anonymous said...

Dear Gwen,
I love your smile, your whole face smiles and it makes me smile.
It looks like you had a wonderful celebration at you school.

Huggies
Nannie

park it said...

Gwen-
what an amazing little lady you are - a big 6 year old !!!

You are so beautiful ! We love you from the moment we heard your little shoes come in to mum and baba!

Biggest hugs ever!!!!

park it said...

ps mom - great cake - and I love the lesson - kids love us - and all that other stuff - "just icing on the cake"

Big Hugs!

Anonymous said...

HAppy Birthday Gwenny!
We love you and miss you lots!!!!
Love, Aunt Jenna

Christie said...

Grace would just love to be able to play with Gwen. Looks like a fun celebration. I like the cake! Reminds me of Hello Kitty!