Tuesday, March 30, 2010

In the Great Mosque with the Guys

We took a quick trip to Xi'an last weekend to see the Terra Cotta Warriors. Seems like something you should do if you live in China. The warriors were impressive, and I'll post some photos, but the twenty minutes Caleb, Seth and I spent in the Great Mosque complex area was a high spot in the weekend for me.
The mosque was founded in the height of the Tang dynasty, in 742, although I'm sure all the buildings are not that old. The compound was comprised of many buildings arranged in courtyards, with beautiful landscaping throughout.
We visited the mosque after 6 o'clock at night, so there were very few other people around. I was going to go into the mosque area by myself while Scott and the kids hung out in the little alleyways of booths in the Muslim shopping area.
I was in the process of buying a ticket, when both boys said they wanted to come in with me. Both boys wanted to come tour an historical site? Hmmm. It made it extra special that they joined me, knowing that maybe they just wanted to be with me! We had fun taking pictures of each other and just fooling around. I drank in the landscaping and architecture, and they talked about movies. :-)
Look how tall this guy is!
Isn't the symmetry of these courtyards gorgeous?

Below is a peek into the prayer hall, which non-Muslims are not allowed to enter. You can see all the prayer rugs arranged on the floor inside. One man, with his white cap on, was inside straightening the rugs.
Thanks, guys! You made my day. :-)

3 comments:

Jennifer J said...

Some day I hope I get photos like that with my Sam. I had no idea how our boys get a hold of our Momma hearts! Thanks for sharing.

Kristen said...

awww...I love this post! What a special day. ♥

Judith and Lance said...

I love seeing the boys and how they enjoy hanging out with their mama! They are getting so TALL and handsome! I also like that Seth is smiling in some of these pictures. Nobody, nobody, nobody loves you like your mama, right?