Monday, April 13, 2009

Great Wall


I intended to do a post of the "best of Beijing" pictures, but there are just so many... so this is a Great Wall only post. :-) We went to a section I had not been on before, Mutianyu. It is a bit farther out of the city, but it was so worth the extra drive time because it was not a bit crowded. The day was a bit hazy, but we could still see lots of the wall, extending in both directions. We had a pretty strenuous climb to get to the wall, but once we were on it, we were able to walk on more gently sloping sections and see quite a bit. The Great Wall never fails to impress! See how few people were on the Wall when we were there... what a treat not to be climbing elbow to elbow with a crowd.

Sarah and I wore our coordinating t-shirts this day... we joked that it would help us "blend in." Not sure if this is possible for us in a country of black haired, black eyed people. :-)


We took this slide down to the bottom after our climb... so fun! Each little car could be individually controlled by a lever, to make your speed up or slow down. It was a pretty long ride, six or seven minutes to the bottom.

7 comments:

Mary Beth said...

I want to take the ride down, but when we went, our baby was not yet 1 year old. Do you think he could make the ride on one of our laps at almost 2? What am I saying - this is China - they probably don't care if we do or don't take him.

Kristen said...

I'm going to share your photos with Havalah. We've just been learning about the Great Wall. I hope that someday we can see it in person!

I'm so glad that you got to have a visit from your sis!

Hazel's mom said...

I love these little sled rides. We've ridden these at 3 different locations - in Oregon, Vermont, and Austria. Best ride? Vermont.
Eric sees these pictures and wishes we could come visit. Did you decide to re-up?

Mary and Justin said...

What a fun time! Great photos! We rode something like that down a mountain in Switzerland - was a blast :)

Lynne said...

Mary Beth, I bet you could take him. They have two person cars, which I did with Madelyn. She say in front of me, between my legs. Like you said, it's China... they probably don't care if you take him or not.

Life in the journey said...

Lynne did you mean to say that the Great Wall is a disappointing sight? I think you meant oposite!

Lynne said...

Thanks, Maribel! Of course that isn't what I meant... I've fixed it now. :-)