Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Afternoon Chat

One of the things I really miss, living in China, is talking on the phone in the late afternoon. It's a time of day when the kids are usually occupied and I'm often cooking... for a number of years it was the perfect time to give my sister or a friend a call.

Not here. That darned time difference gets me every time I have the urge to pick up the phone in the afternoon. I have friends and family across the US, in different time zones, so surely there should be someone I could call, I think. Then I mentally go through the list... eastern, central, mountain time... none of them would be expecting a call from me at 5 a.m., or 4 a.m. Even my California friends, in the Pacific time zone, are sleeping by the time it's 5 p.m. here in China.

Yes, I do have friends here. I could call one of them. But years of habit run deep, and I guess I'm longing for a deeper connection around 5 p.m. in the afternoon, one that takes longer than the short time we've lived here to forge.

The day after tomorrow I will have an afternoon chat with someone whom I often long to talk to at that time of day. Sarah, my sister, is arriving at 2 p.m.! Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait! I won't even need to pick up the phone. We can sit right in my kitchen and talk, the wonders of Vonage phone service not required.

Oh, my brother-in-law is also coming. Love you too, Shann! :-)

3 comments:

Life in the journey said...

I am very happy for you and please do say hi to your sister even though we have never met!

Hope that each moment spent together creates wonderful memories.
I agree with you about the time zone, it is so frustrating isn'it?

Well now for the first time in several years (18 years) my sister and I are in the same time zone and I am sure enjoying calling her and talking even as we make meals together but separated :-)

Love you.

Anonymous said...

Lynne, Dad and I are so excited about you and Sarah just talking! What a great blessing to have a sister! And one that you love to be with - straight from God! Mom

Anonymous said...

Oh joy!! Shann and Sarah there for a visit? I think Shann must have fun wherever he goes, creating love and laughter. Happy for you that you will have some sharing time with sweet Sarah.

Right now it is five minutes until five in the afternoon, and I must tell you what a bright spot your postings are in my routine. Some days after hearing anti-family political news, it's almost too much to bear. Then I check your blogspot, and instantly I am smiling and praying for your continued blessings. You are a blessing to all of us back here!

Love to you,
Jan W.