Friday, August 15, 2008

Tang-hu-lu on the Bund

These pictures were taken early in June when had a little adventure at the Bund with our dear friends the Hillmers. We all tried these yummy traditional Chinese treats while we were there. Mr. Wu told us later when I showed him the pictures that they are called tang-hu-lus. He said the fruit, which is coated in a thin candy shell, is a hawthorn. I thought hawthorn was a type of small apple, but these little fruits tasted like a plum.

Andrea gets instruction from a local woman on how to eat her tang-hu-lu. Caleb and Matt in back, Madelyn, Gwen, Andrea, Maribel, Seth.

The Pudong side of the Bund, with the Pearl Tower visible, is in the background. Our old apartment complex, Shimao, was just out of this picture, to the right.

Nice view of inside of your mouth, Caleb!
Me and my sweet friend, Maribel. I miss you!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are yummy. Though they do have many kinds! I think at Carrefoure you used to be able to get different fruits on them or a mixture. You may have been eating a plum. The hawthorns are much smaller and whiter in the middle. My favorite is strawberry! I miss you to Maribel.
Lisa

Anonymous said...

I really want those pictures. I am going to a Scrapbook retreat tomorrow and I am hoping to scrapbook a lot of my China pictures but I am lacking these ones. Oh how fun it was! I hope I can call you tonight (my time)Love you.