Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Peaches

This morning Mr. Wu showed me some beautiful peaches he had gotten from a sidewalk vendor at the Chinese market. They were perfectly ripe, and large. Later in the day I asked him to take me to the market so I could get some. He described to me on the way there how this was just the right time of year for these Shanghai peaches. Too early, no good. Later, no good.

We pulled to the side of the road by the area where the peach vendors were. I got ready to get out of the car, but Mr. Wu stopped me. "You talk, maybe no good," he said. Now I may not speak much Chinese, but I know enough to bargain. However, it is fairly well known that Chinese people give their own a better price than they would give a foreigner.

Even on peaches, I guess. Mr. Wu brought me back two bags of peaches, about 14-15 total. I think he paid 21 RMB, around $3 USD. Such a deal. Good thing I didn't talk.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Mmmm...I love buying fruit in China...so cheap!!!