Monday, August 25, 2008

Gwen's 1st Day

"Welcome Everyone!"
This sign is on the door of her classroom. I didn't read it myself, in case you wondered. :-)
This backpack, which she picked out Friday after preschool orientation, was a really big deal to Gwen. Her first backpack... somehow it made everything official. We had several items to take to school the first day- toothbrush and toothpaste, change of clothes, inside shoes to keep at school, and an updated info sheet for the office. Gwen checked and rechecked her backpack over the weekend to make sure everything was in its place. I arrived a few minutes early at pick-up time so I could take some pictures. (I brought my camera this morning, but didn't have the memory card in it, so I couldn't take any pictures.) I found the class at circle time... I couldn't understand a thing as the whole day is conducted in Mandarin, but Gwen seemed to be following Laoshi (teacher) Sharon.

Sharon told me after class that Gwen had done really well, for her first time in school. There were no tears to start the day, which was a good sign, but I did hold my breath every time my phone rang, wondering if they would be saying she was falling apart. I was so thankful for the good report!

Notice the all the Chinese characters on the wall. Gwen's classroom!
One of her favorite activities at orientation last week was manning this little store.
I wondered what Gwen's reaction to hearing Mandarin all day would be... I expected her to tell me that she couldn't understand anything, or something along those lines. She said nothing of the sort. She produced a page from her backpack that she had done at school- it was a character that they had traced and learned today... she matter of factly named the character (I don't remember how to say it, but the picture was of a sunshine). Later today she repeated some Chinese words to me and just said, "Chinese people say this." I'm sure it will take quite a while for full understanding to come, but I expect she will learn much more quickly than I would!

She was exhausted tonight and was asleep within moments of me leaving her room. Praying for another good day tomorrow!



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great opportunity for Gwen. Isn't it so funny how learning a new language is much easier when you are younger? Maybe you will pick up a thing or two from Gwen.

Beth

Judith and Lance said...

IT's so neat that she'll be able to learn her native language. She is getting so big and cuter and cuter! Way to go Gwen!

Sarah Jane said...

Wow, what a big girl! Gwen, I am so proud of you that you are going to school and having so much fun! Can't wait to hear more about this.

park it said...

What a wonderful day for Gwen and MOMMY - big steps and cudos to you too!

Gwen looks like she is right at home...Can't wait to hear all the things she teaches you - maybe she could give you Chinese language/writing homework - now that is a novel idea!

We wish her the best - love the door decoration - so wish K was beside her in class - they would have a blast!
Hugs fm FL

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for her! I wonder what is going on in her little mind. She must think that all schools are this way.. learning chinese. You could tell her to talk with Jalen and Azeria in chinese, I will also make an effort to same some words to her.

Lisa