Sunday, November 11, 2007

A Small Loss

I am slowly becoming aware of the fact that culture shock is experienced in layers. We've certainly had some bumpy spots on the road to normalcy as we've adjusted not only to life in China but also to apartment living, an urban rather than a suburban lifestyle.

The other day I realized an aspect of our "old life" that I really miss, something I hadn't thought of before. It's doing errands. I know that seems like a silly one, in light of all that there is that is very, very different, but as I thought about this I actually shed tears.

We can't drive in China. It isn't because they drive on the other side of the road or anything, but simply because it is a different type of driving, an agressive, "playing chicken" type of driving. The firm Scott works for asks us not to drive here. So six days a week we have Mr. Wu to drive us, and he has been great. There is only one of him, and obviously only one vehicle, so we've had to do some compromising on who goes where when, but taxis are plentiful and cheap and I've gotten braver about using them, so that has worked out okay.

But doing errands.... what I miss is going out by myself on a Saturday afternoon to tool around in the car on my own. Stopping where I want to stop. Not having to arrange when I will be picked up when I'm finished, but hopping in the car and then going on to the next place as my need or fancy arises. Mr. Wu is terribly accomadating, and he would certainly run me here and there if I wanted him to, but the fact is that I don't know where Here and There are around here! I know all the basic things, but I miss the little places I used to go in the States.

I guess this is all a blessing in disguise. The fact is that I can't shop like I used to. I wasn't ever a big shopper, but I enjoyed time out browsing at Target or Old Navy. There's no Target here, no Old Navy, at least not that I know about. And I guess that's a Good Thing, at least for now.

5 comments:

Judith and Lance said...

I'm sorry you are said about this, Lynne. It is hard, I remember missing similar things we when were only gone for 6 months. Just watch, you'll adjust to this life style and will miss being driven when you get back to the States! :) Any trips planned anytime soon?

Tina said...

I know what that means. Living abroad is always like that.
Do you have some freinds there? they are always help.

Mary and Justin said...

I totally understand Lynne! There's only so much I can balance in my bike basket!

park it said...

This post has such funny timing - I was working in the garden this weekend- and thought about the flowers in your garden - and wondered if they are all or about to be covered in snow...and who would see them next year - funny how the mind works.

I agree with you - we do enjoy alot of freedom her in the USA - but considering gas will soon be close to $4 not sure how much "running" around we will be doing...but I am a Target girl too - of course everything in Target was made in China

Anonymous said...

Lynne :)
I promise to share some of my seemingly endless errands with you when you are here during the holidays...I would gladly hand them over....especially the grocery store errands.
love you, JEnna