Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Shopping

Yesterday afternoon I went out shopping by myself for the first time since we have lived here. Yes, I have run to the Chinese grocery store on our corner alone before, but this was different. I actually got myself a gingerbread latte at Starbucks, and strolled around the mall alone. It was so nice!

I browsed in a few large clothing stores, just to see what kind of things are available, and I did see some things I liked. The styles, although western, are a little different here... or maybe I just don't know what's in in the the States! I found some nice black corderoy pants that I thought I would try on... until I started looking for my size. The sizing is completely different, and I kept holding pairs of cords up to see if I was anywhere close to the correct size. I ended up with something like a 155/60A... although I might have that wrong. This size meant nothing to me, but it seemed close to the right size when I held the pants up. I got in the dressing room and pulled them on... but not really. They were WAY to tight. I left the store.

I was telling Scott later about my experience trying to find the right size pants... and we were giggling about the fact that most of the Asian women are so tiny, that shopping here for me is like needing the Big & Tall size!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where do I go the Imperial Chinese Circus? or The Grand Gateway in the Xujiahui district and look for the Big and Tall Man's shop.

Andrew

Tina said...

you know what,I know why you can;t find the exact size. In China ,southern people are thinner that northern ones.You are living in Shangai which is a southern city.That;s why there are always small size,BTW 155/60A means height:155cm, waistline:60CM.