Monday, November 19, 2007

Christmas Thoughts

Yesterday I ventured to Walmart in Shanghai for the first time. I had heard from other expats that the Chinese Walmart was somewhat disappointing, so I hadn't bothered to go. But yesterday I was thinking about Christmas tree lights, and Walmart seemed like the logical place to look. I was not disappointed... I guess I would have been disappointed if I had assumed that the Chinese Walmart would be like the ones I have shopped at in the States, but I knew it wouldn't be. There was a small display right inside the front door of a dozen rather paltry looking trees, with gaudy decorations. A huge stuffed Santa greeted us at the door. "Jingle Bells", with Chinese words, played on the loudspeaker. One two-sided shelf contained two different types of tree lights, and some plastic snowflakes. A wall rack had various other tree ornaments, none of which appealed to me. But I was pleased to see the lights, and bought six boxes.

Later, when the boys arrived home from school, I showed Seth the lights. We were excited to learn, just a few days ago, that the school will be selling live potted Christmas trees at the Christmas bazaar this Saturday. We definitely want one! I brought many of our ornaments with us to China, in hopes that we would be able to find a tree here.

But Christmas in Shanghai isn't really the object of our imaginations these days. We are counting the days until we get on the plane for the looong flight to the US, when we will back on familiar streets, hearing voices we understand, and surrounded by people we love. Seth summed up his thoughts about Going Home For Christmas when he said, after seeing the lights I'd bought, "You know what I'm really looking forward to about going home at Christmas? Sitting on the couch in Aunt Jenna and Uncle Andrew's family room, smelling good things to eat."

Doesn't that just sound like family? Anyone who has ever gone away and come home again understands. It's a good thing.

2 comments:

mle said...

Lynne--I just finished the book The Giver by Lois Lowry (have you read it?). There's a scene in the book where Jonas experiences a Christmas celebration in a home with family and a fire and the smells of good things to eat, and he describes a feeling that he doesn't know the word for. His mentor explains that what he is feeling is "love". Seth's comment really fits.

Rebecca said...

I was in Walmart today too, and somehow I was thinking of you and how you must be anticipating coming home-- everything familiar and accessible and in English!! But that's just the surface. I know you can't wait to be with your family. I wish we could see you while you're in the States....