Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Abundance

This afternoon the kids and I went outside to hang out and skate a little in the waning afternoon light. Behind our building there is a big grassy area with brick paths around it that are nice for rollerblading, and round fountain areas with steps leading off the sides that are good for skateboard tricks. The weather has been lovely this past week, with temperatures that are so pleasant and far less humidity than a month ago. It was perfect for lolling about outside.


As the girls and I approached the area where the boys were skating, Madelyn spotted a girl that looked about her size. I encouraged her to to say hi, and I followed after her and helped make introductions. Audrey is her name, and she is almost exactly a year younger than Madelyn. Since we had skates, she decided to go get hers, and returned from her 20th floor apartment quickly with them on. She and Madelyn and Gwen skated around for a little while, looking at bugs on the walk in front of them. While they skated, Audrey explained to me that her family is waiting for a Chinese baby, and that the adoption lady was at her house right now! I wasn't sure who the "adoption lady" was, but Audrey was excited, and she said she had thought she might have her sister by Halloween, but now they were going to have to wait a little longer. Sounded familiar!


We decided to go over towards the lake to see if the fountains were on, so I invited Audrey to come and suggested she go ask her mom first if it was okay. She agreed that was a good idea, and asked Madelyn to go up to the apartment with her. When they came back down a few minutes later, Madelyn was invited in for dinner and to play! I decided to go up and meet Audrey's mom, with this added twist. As it happened, the "adoption lady" was in the lobby as we went in, so I got to meet her. She is in charge of expat adoption in Shanghai (which, by the way, is expedited so that the wait time is reduced by half... anyone want to come live in Shanghai to adopt?)

Audrey's parents, Matt and Molly, were both home. They are warm and lovely people. We talked about adoption and the woes of waiting, while the girls explored Audrey's room. When I peeked in after a few minutes, they were all three engaged in a game with little plastic horses. After chatting for a few minutes, I excused myself to go find Seth and get back to the soup I had unwisely left simmering on the stove at home. Both Gwen and Madelyn stayed for dinner and playtime.

I marveled to Caleb about this new friend for Madelyn as we walked back to our building. If it were just this one friend, it would be wonderful. But it's been more than that. To back up, Madelyn was really struggling a couple of weeks ago. She pretty much shut down for several days, not eating or even getting off the couch all day, sleeping a lot and barely talking. I took her to the doctor, but we were already thinking perhaps she was struggling emotionally, what with the boys newly in school, her friend Alexa having recently moved back to the States, no homeschooling friends, and the China move itself. There were other factors as well, factors that made me question my decisions and abilities as a parent. The doctor confirmed that it was probably a bad case of the blues. We rallied to cheer her, asking for prayers from our families and giving her lots of extra lovin'. The kittens made a difference, and God just poured out some other blessings that have left us with a changed little girl on our hands. In the last ten days we've miraculously connected with home school families in our area, informally to play and also for a gym class. "Girls' School", a wonderful small class for just a few home schooled girls Madelyn's age starts this week. She's started swimming lessons, and children's church began again after a break for the summer. She had a sleep-over with Elise, a friend from church. The results of these blessings and all the prayers for her is that she is more affectionate than she has been in a year, and seems more able to express herself. Her deep giggle can be heard throughout the house again. At bedtime tonight she was just bursting with hugs and kisses for us, and was so full of joy!

And today, a new friend in our complex. A friend who we just happened to find outside. A friend that invites her for dinner and promises to come over tomorrow afternoon to play again. Is that all, God, or is there more? How well you care for Your children. Look how you fill to overflowing. Thank You, thank You!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

God be praised! God be praised!
What an outpouring of His love!
N.E.

Rebecca said...

Wow. I am rejoicing with you!

Anonymous said...

I've been reading your blog since Gwen was adopted. My husband and I were considering adoption when I stumbled across it and just kept on reading through your journey. This post moved me so much I felt the need to comment. The way you cast your burdens upon Christ and trust his guidance in your life inspires me to be stronger in my times of need. You've reminded me of things that I know to do intellectually, however fail to do in my everyday life at times. Thank you for giving me strength and lifting me up in my times of discouragement by letting me have a glimpse of your life. May God be with you in China. I'm praying that you'll be able to communicate with Mr. Wu in a way he'll understand and that his heart will be receptive to His word. Shari