Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Single Parenting

It's got to be a really tough job. Those who do it full time or even just for an extended period have my utmost admiration. Surely God gives special grace and strength to these quiet heros.

We are finishing up Day 3 of a nineteen day stint with me as a single parent. Scott is getting started on his new job in Shanghai, and tonight I am really exhausted. Now that might have something to do with that fact that I did a lot of heavy gardening today, so my body is tired, but I think it may also have to do with the hour we spent in Sports Authority buying baseball stuff. Choosing the right spikes and finding the correct size protective "cup" is not my area of expertise, but I'm sure I would have been slightly less frazzled making those decisions had I not had a small person in a stroller along who didn't want to be in the stroller, didn't want her coat on anymore, had to go potty, wanted to touch everything, etc. That kind of thing produces mental fatigue that is greater than any physical.

But when we arrived at home, I had one son volunteer to make me a cup of tea, and the other offer to put the aformentioned little girl to bed for me. I am so grateful that my older kids can see my weakness and respond with kindness.

Thank you, Caleb and Seth. You guys made the difference for me tonight.

Thank You, Jesus, for knowing our needs.

6 comments:

Tina said...

i can imagine this.it will be fine ,don't worry.

Anonymous said...

Caleb and Seth - I am so Proud of you guys. Thank you for your great attitudes and your willingness to help. I love you both and I am counting on you to continue to fill in for me while I am gone. Can't wait to have everyone here.

Love Dad-

Anonymous said...

Those are some great guys!

Anonymous said...

Ok - I never remember to put my name! It's Lana :)

Anonymous said...

Caleb and Seth: what a wonderful work you did for your mom! I knew my grandsons were the best! I love you guys!! Love, Grandma

park it said...

Gwen-Please don't stress out mom-remember she is the one that gets you all the cool stuff to play with or is that dad? Anyway, be a good girl and play nice with your brothers and sister!
Hugs from Florida
Kimberly - via mom...