Monday, November 21, 2005

The First Night

Last night as Scott and I were falling asleep we talked about the First Night With Gwen. Three weeks from yesterday we will meet Gwen for the first time... what will the first night with her be like? Scott decided that we will all be tired after such a monumental day, and that we will all sleep. Will it be that simple? I try to go there in my mind, but having never experienced anything like this before, I can't quite make the leap.

Although the days until our departure are flying by, in a way it still seems so far away. Perhaps this is because it is such an other worldly experience. I have talked to many people who have adopted daughters from China. Even the families who were very sick on the trip or who had some other unforseen trouble befall them have said that it is absolutely the trip of a lifetime, an experience like none other.

There has been a song in my head literally for weeks, since we sang it at Scott's parents' church when we visited them at the end of October. The phrase that keeps rolling through my brain is,

Every blessing You pour out, I'll turn back to praise .

Having not even made this trip yet, I cannot stop thinking what an absolute gift this child and this experience of adoption already is to our family. I praise the Lord for His indescribable gift... not just of bringing Gwen to our family, but for choosing us for His family.

The first night is coming soon... until then, we have every blessing You've poured out that we want to praise You for.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lynne, yes, that first night and even that first morning when you and Gwen wake up and there you are with each other! What an amazing time! All you can say, is God be praised! Love, your Mom