Friday, November 12, 2010

Blink

It's Friday night in northeast Ohio. Varsity basketball in the high school gym. Cheering, foot stomping, clapping, yelling with the crowd. Seems like the whole school is here- teachers, parents, students. Middle schoolers huddled together on the bleachers and elementary children running back and forth from the concession stand. Watching my boyfriend driving down the court for a break away lay up.

Blink.

It's Friday night in Shanghai. Varsity basketball in the high school gym. Cheering, foot stomping, clapping, yelling with the crowd. Seems like the whole school is here. It's my son driving down the court. My boyfriend is my husband now and we're in the crowd on the bleachers, cheering for the varsity team.

Twenty five years later- can it be? Here I am, back in the high school gym on a Friday night, watching a guy I love play basketball.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a well written post!!! A real tear jerker!! Mom

Jennifer J said...

So true, Lynne. It's good to see them grow, but sometimes I wish time wouldn't fly by so quickly!

Rebecca said...

"Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom." ~ Psalm 90. Indeed.

Great post, friend.

Life in the journey said...

Lynne, I love the way you think but I love even more the way you express those thoughts on paper. Keep it up, I read it even when I don't always comment. I miss you.

Sarah Jane said...

Several people today told me how fast times goes, and I don't think its obvious until you have one of these moments - then it does seem like a blink. Great post!

Mark said...

Wow! What a poignant feeling of longing you elicit! It reminds me of a line in C.S. Lewis' Out of the Silent Planet, (I was just reading while on jury duty yesterday) "A pleasure is full grown only when it is remembered...how could we endure to live and let time pass if we were always crying for one day or one year to come back - if we did not know that every day in a life fills the whole life with expectation and memory..."