Wednesday, June 09, 2010

School & Sushi

I met a new friend today, someone another friend gave my name to as a home schooling contact. We spent a wonderful couple of hours together, chatting about parenting, schooling, and God. She took me to a Japanese restaurant for lunch, which was delicious! The sushi was oh-so-yummy. We talked more, about our backgrounds, adoption, food, and more about home schooling. What fun a new friend is!

I found that talking about home schooling with this younger mom who is just now looking at it as a possibility reminded me of all the things I loved about home schooling in the early years. I've relived a lot of that with my sister, too, as this was her first year teaching her son. It was different discussing it with a brand new friend, though, and also different to be looking back on home schooling as a past part of my life. I wondered aloud if I will ever do it again. It's out there as a possibility, of course. Gwen has lots of years ahead of her!

But for now, Gwen will have her kindergarten graduation ceremony at Montessori on Friday morning, and next year go to Concordia for first grade. I feel good about these things.

And I definitely want to learn to make sushi. I'm looking at websites now...

6 comments:

Kristen said...

I know that you have been such an encouragement to me over the years!

If you find some good recipes, share them with us! :)

Anonymous said...

Looks like seaweed cuisine is calling your name. Glad to hear you have a new homeschooling friend to replace me.
Lisa

Lynne said...

Silly Lisa... no one can replace you!

Anonymous said...

What fun - a new friend! I totally agree with you! That has happened to me recently! Mom

Brad said...

Can't wait to make some sushi in NC... I'm sure sand crabs and whatever those people are fishing for in the middle of the swimmers will be perfect fillers.

Mary Beth said...

My friend, Nancy T. (From Singapore), just taught me how to make it last week! It is SURPRISINGLY EASY! When I get back to the US, I plan to post a HOW TO MAKE SUSHI on my website so stay turned or if you know Nancy (she volunteers in the Nursery at AGIF, perhaps she would show you!) I thought I traded a laughable trade with showing her Rice Krispie Treats, but it is JUST AS EASY! Blessings to you as we are returning to the US, too.