Friday, December 19, 2008

Carrefour Christmas Thoughts

Silent Night, Holy Night

I rode my bike to Carrefour late this morning, after our family Christmas celebration, to pick up a few things for our lunch. We're heading to the airport late this afternoon, to fly to the US for a couple of weeks with our families.

All is calm, all is bright

I rode the escalator ramp up to the store, feeling a sudden fondness for the place that had so frustrated and befuddled me when we first arrived in Shanghai. Now, after a year and half in China, I know Carrefour. I know where to find what I need.

'Round yon virigin, mother and child

I walked through the main displays at the front of the store, all colors and styles of long underwear at this time of year. I looked into the shoppers faces, all framed with straight black hair. I no longer feel out of place among them.

Holy infant so tender and mild

I made my way to the produce department and picked out some cucumbers, carrots, apples and fresh pineapple to supplement the leftovers in the fridge that we will eat for lunch. As I picked out my fruits and vegetables, I realized the song on the public address system in the store was very familiar.

Christ the Savior is born

Maybe it's the fact that we just watched "Nativity Story" last night. Maybe it's that we are about to go back to all that is safe and familiar, so many of the people that love us. Maybe it's that this particular song was playing in a Chinese grocery store, proclaiming the Truth of Christmas. But as I had my produce weighed and walked to the check-out line, I had tears in my eyes.

Christ the Savior is born.

I left the store and found my bike, amid the hundreds of other bicycles lined up outside Carrefour. As I got on my bike and turned toward home, I passed the fresh flower vendors outside the store, whose faces are now familiar. I rode by the cart where they sell hot chestnuts and the people with DVDs spread on blankets on the sidewalk.

Christ the Savior is born. Not just for me, for my family, for Americans. Christ was born to save us all~ red and yellow, black and white. And His name is proclaimed in the Carrefour in Jinqiao, my little community in Pudong, Shanghai.

Somehow this fact makes me love the people in Carrefour this morning more... and be more even more amazed at the love our Saviour has for us.

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

A love that seems so ill-conceived-- as we are so unloveable. And a love that is inconceivable-- who can know it?

Oh, praise His name, that He should have such love for us.

Jennifer J said...

Oh, that I could have ridden my bicycle with you! My love for China grows and I am so blessed to see it through your eyes. Have a wonderful, safe trip.
jen

Anonymous said...

Lynne, thank you for sharing the details of your shopping experience. As you described it I felt like I was walking with you through those scalators, those aisles, I became overwhelmed with emotion and I am reminded once more to pray for beautiful China, its people and all the ambassadors that God has place there to proclaim the Good News.

I am very proud of you and miss you and love you...:-(

Lana said...

I loved this post - and I love you!

Anonymous said...

I am so thankful that everywhere I go here, the Christmas music that is playing is about the Lord. How amazing it is that He will send His message out in the most interesting ways. Those of you in the states that read Lynne's blog, please pray for this place at this time. You would not believe how many people come to Him in this season when there is more "freedom" to speak out. It shows how hungry people are for Truth.

Mary Beth said...

Lynne --

This is an amazing post for our Amazing Savior. I felt the same way the other day in Carrefour. I wish our wonderful country, the US would play this music in the stores. God bless you and yours this Christmas. It is so wonderful to know that God loves all of us!