Thursday, November 13, 2008

Gwen's School, Madelyn's School

Recently I've felt so much better about Gwen being at school. She is happy to go these days, which makes a huge difference. Her teacher had told me that it usually takes a couple of months in the case of immersion into another language for the child to adjust. Not that she knows Chinese yet, but she knows the routine of the days and feels comfortable with how the school day goes.

I've been making a point to pick her up early here and there, rather than have her ride home in the school van, not only so I can have a bit more time with her, but also so I can see the climate of the classroom at different points during the day. I have to say I am incredibly impressed. It is always a peaceful scene, with small groups of children working with a teacher on something- art, looking at books, working with Montessori materials (various special puzzles, math manipulatives, etc); or playing together in twos and threes; or participating in a group music or dance lesson. The children are taught to eat properly with a knife and fork, to clear their places, and to help wipe the dishes. They all brush their teeth after lunch. :-)

Gwen's teacher writes me a note every day, telling some details of what was presented and how Gwen reacted, how she did at lunch and play, etc. Yesterday she told me of a little interaction where Gwen told her, in Chinese, that another little girl did not like the snack. I was so excited to hear this! I know she has been understanding more and more of the things the teachers say, and she often sings Chinese songs or repeats words to me, but this is the first time she initiated conversation in Chinese.

Madelyn and I are having pretty full school days at home. We read a lot for history and love that time together... this was so much trickier last year with Gwen at home. I have struggled with guilt about having Gwen in school, but as the year progresses and I see both of the girls thriving in their very different environments, I am thankful for the options we have in teaching our children.

3 comments:

Lana said...

Awesome report, Lynne! Thanks for sharing. It sounds like all of the kids are really thriving in their different experiences! Love you! Oh - we DID go to Hilton Head that day, found the tree house and play area, in was great. I'll fill you in later!

Jennifer J said...

We would love to go to school with Gwen, it would help our Chinese alot!
jen & kate

Sarah Jane said...

Yay.