Thursday, October 30, 2008

Dilemma

One of my sons wants to t.p. a house tomorrow night with some friends. You know, throw rolls of toilet paper up into trees so that it unrolls all through the branches, creating a lovely party-like atmosphere in the yard that is quite difficult to clean up, especially if it should happen to rain.

Hmmm.

I know that this type is prank is all in good fun. It is common in the US. It is relatively harmless. Scott did this with his friends when we were in high school.

Here's the thing... my son (who at this point I shall keep anonymous, if you haven't already guessed which one I am talking about) has told me he wants to do this, that he has plans with his friends to do this deed to a certain girl's house tomorrow, and would I please buy the toilet paper for them? He promises he will give me the money, and I know he is good for it.

Hmmm.

Somehow this makes me feel like an accomplice. I feel like if I buy the toilet paper, I am somehow condoning and even encouraging this activity.

Does it matter if I am an accomplice? Is toilet papering a house just harmless fun? My boy isn't trying to hide it from me, I'll give him that.

Any opinions?

9 comments:

Judith and Lance said...

You are an accomplice, but a fun one!! I think it is innocent fun, if it wasn't he wouldn't of been so willing to tell you. I thought it was the coolest thing when my yard was tped, it always meant that one of the guys invetiably had a crush on me, that is probably the only thing I'd worry about ! :) I actually think it's nice to hear that kids are wanting to do stuff like this instead of going out getting into worse trouble like underage smoking, drinking or other explicit behavior. I vote yes for the tp. :) Let us know what you decide.

Anonymous said...

Did you know that TP originated in China?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toilet_paper

I don't know about this one. The only thing that I would be concerned about would be the cultural interpretation. My vote is to not do it. Only because it's a different country. If you were in the U.S., I'd say consider it. It's a tough call.

Lana said...

Ok - so can I agree with both previous comments?! If you can verify that there isn't a negative cultural interpretation...then I agree with Judith's perspective! (make sure he takes pictures for us!)

Kayce said...

Innocent fun! I think if it's all okay in China than okay, but maybe suggest that he help clean it up the next day...anonymously of course. ;)

Anonymous said...

Tell Caleb to start acting like a respectable teenager and leave you out of it. Simply tell him to: buy his own tp, tell you he's going to a friends house to work on a "project", give the girl's house a good tp-ing (don't forget to tie tp bows around the mailbox and lamp posts) and deny everything should he ever be questioned.

I think as long as you explain this to him, you're in the clear... boys will be boys, and all that.

Uncle Justin

Rebecca said...

Yes, I guess I have to go with Justin. Definitely make him buy his own toilet paper. Good night! He takes cabs around Shanghai-- what's to stop him from buying toilet paper.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lynne, maybe it already happened but I would say let him go for it. Matthew got tped when we came back and it was lots of fun He and Doug cleaned up afterwards and had a good laugh.
The only thing is the guards at the different complexes, they might need to ask permision from them or if it is a place like yours there should't be a problem.
Tell us what happens.
Love you,

Maribel

Anonymous said...

Very Funny. It's nice that he told you and wanted to include you. I remember the bad pranks I did in high school. What point are they trying to make with this girl? I agree with Maribel, I am not sure how the guards will respond, since the house is probably a rented one and not theirs. You know I can't even have a BBQ at my own house without the guards coming over.
Lisa

Mary Beth said...

Either way you decide to go - I would not buy the TP for him. He can go to Carrefour and stand 20 minutes in line - you shouldn't have to do that. That alone may divert him from deciding to do it! To me - it sounds like innocent fun. We did this regularly in high school (of course back in the states) - it was always in good fun and the TPed person never seemed to mind.