Monday, October 06, 2008

Climbing

Climbing was our first adventure in Yangshuo. Here the kids and Liang, one of our guides, pass one of the buildings of the small village we walked through to get to the climbing site. Getting all the gear on. Helmets required! Caleb scaled several climbing spots with relative ease.


I have never rock climbed in my life, although I've watched others do it a number of times. I decided I'd better give it a try before I turn 40! The guide who was belaying for me really helped me out... he didn't quite pull me up the wall, but he definitely helped me make it up!Repelling back down to the ground is the fun part!
Despite a nasty scrape on his leg, sustained while trying to protect Mom's good camera in his hands while stumbling on the uneven path, Seth rebounded and did several more climbs.I was so proud of Madelyn! She wasn't sure she wanted to try climbing at all, but she did it and found she loved it! She climbed four times, getting more confident each time.
It was Scott's first time climbing also. No problem for him... he is a man of many strengths!In her oversized ChinaClimb helmet, Gwen clammered around the climb site looking cute. She probably could have scaled one of the walls quite easily, if only there had been a climbing harness small enough to fit her! At the top!

And this was the view opposite the climb site! What a great reward for making it up the wall!



1 comment:

Sarah Jane said...

These are great!