Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Strawberry Farm



This afternoon the girls and I visited an organic strawberry farm with some homeschool friends. We were happy to find all the plants were in greenhouse tents since it was a pretty rainy day. The strawberries are a different variety than I've seen before, called Zhang Ji in Chinese, and referred to as "milk strawberries". The biggest ones were elongated rather than plump and round. They are juicy, but not quite as sweet as the strawberries we are used to in the US. They were easy to pick, being in raised rows, and the berries hung down below the plants, so they were easy to see. We quickly picked a large pan full, at least ten pounds... and as I write this tonight, a full third of those have been eaten up!
Madelyn loved this little tiny berry she found!

As is to be expected, Gwen ate most of what she picked. I think she had three berries in her basket when we were ready to go.



4 comments:

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

Oh... they look delicious... wanna send me some? Take care

Anonymous said...

Wow, those look great! It seems funny picking strawberries in April!

Anonymous said...

Madelyn looks just like you!!! This delicious adventure sounds like fun :o) Makes me hungry for some strawberries...

Donna said...

Yummm! Strawberries are my favorite fruit! Looks like a few people in your family like them too! ;)

Donna