Saturday, April 12, 2008

Important Question

I knew it was coming. The question had arisen on several other occassions, and I had let it pass because there were too many other people around.

Last week when Gwen and I were discussing some past event, the question came again. This time the situation was right to answer it.

"Where was I then, Mom, in your belly?"

"You weren't in my belly, Gwenny. You were in a Chinese mommy's belly."

"What's her name?"

"I don't know her name. But God does."

"Where is she?"

"I don't know. God's plan was for you to be born to a Chinese mommy, but to be in our family, so Daddy and I came to China to adopt you. Remember?"

It seemed like enough. The moment passed, our car ride ended and we had to get out. She hasn't asked anymore about it since then. I am working slowly on putting together a book for her that will help to explain some of her life story. It's not easy to explain. There are parts that may be sad for Gwen, as she comes to understand them. I pray that God will give us the words to express the story in the way she needs to hear it.

1 comment:

Sarah Jane said...

her story is such a special one. God can make that clear to her.