Saturday, January 05, 2008

Long Ago, But Not So Far Away

One of my New Year's resolutions, if there is such a thing, is to walk more. I really love to walk, and although city walking might not be my first choice, it's still exercise and there is definitely lots to see. Tonight I went for a great brisk walk, inspired by the music I was listening to on my iPod. The first song was "Grave Robber", by Petra. I know, I know, I am dating myself. But I loved Petra in high school, and I still love it now.

As I started out on my walk with "Grave Robber" in my ears, I remembered a wonderful summer evening. I think it was the night of the last day of school before summer vacation started. I was with friends at Blossom, an outdoor amphitheater in Cleveland, for a Petra concert. We sang along with every song, dancing on the lawn under the stars, giddy with the music and the new freedom of summer.

Wow... what a lifetime ago that was. But it all came back tonight, as I walked the streets of Shanghai.


Grave Robber, words and music by Bob Hartman

There's a step that we all take alone
An appointment we have with the great unknown
Like a vapor this life is just waiting to pass
Like the flowers that fade, like the withering grass
But life seems so long and death so complete
And the grave an impossible potion to cheat
But there's One who has been there and still lives to tell
There is One who has been through both heaven and hell
And the grave will come up empty-handed the day
Jesus will come and steal us away

(Chorus)
Where is the sting, tell me where is the bite
When the grave robber comes like a thief in the night
Where is the victory, where is the prize
When the grave robber comes And death finally dies
Many still mourn and many still weep
For those that the love who have fallen asleep
But we have this hope though our hearts may still ache
Just one shout from above and they all will awake
And in the reunion of joy we will see
Death will be swallowed in sweet victory

When the last enemy is done from the dust will come a song
Those asleep will be awakened - not a one will be forsakened
He shall wipe away our tears - He will steal away our fears
There will be no sad tomorrow - there will be no pain and sorrow

(Chorus)
Where is the sting, tell me where is the bite
When the grave robber comes like a thief in the night
Where is the victory, where is the prize
When the grave robber comes And death finally dies
Many still mourn and many still weep
For those that the love who have fallen asleep
But we have this hope though our hearts may still ache
Just one shout from above and they all will awake
And in the reunion of joy we will see
Death will be swallowed in sweet victory

P.S. Were you there with me, at the Petra concert? Let me know! :-)




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am thinking that sounds really familiar. I know I was at a Petra concert then. IF I admit this info. then I am dating myself too!

Sarah Jane said...

Let me tell you that I wanted to go! But I think it was probably past my bedtime! It is a great song.