Monday, February 20, 2006

At Shedd Aquarium

Saturday we went to Shedd Aquarium in Chicago. We had some friends visiting for the weekend with their children, and it was a cold day, so passing the time at one of the best aquariums in the country was the Thing To Do. Gwen absolutely loved it! She pointed and marveled at every fish and swimming creature she saw. She gazed in wonder at the beluga whales, the penguins, the sting rays. After the dolphin show and lunch, she conked out in the stroller for the rest of our time there. As we were getting ready to leave, putting coats on the other kids and leaving her to slumber in the stroller until the last possible minute, I glanced down at her. She was sleeping so completely peacefully, her little rosebud lips parted slightly. She had on one of my favorite outfits, with matching green squeaker shoes, and had her big Shedd Aquarium Member sticker on the front of her pale green fleece top. Suddenly I was overwhelmed at how far she's come... from how geographically far away she's come, how far we traveled to bring her home, and how many worlds apart in experiences her life will be and already is from what it would have been if she'd stayed at the Yibin Social Welfare Institute in the Sichuan province. I stood in the lobby of Shedd Aquarium and cried. I cried tears of joy and love and gratitude for God's marvelous plan for her and for us. How did a little girl from China become a member not only of Shedd Aquarium in Chicago, but also of our family? It seems like a one in a million chance.

It seems to me, as I think of it now, that Gwen coming to us is not so dissimilar from us coming to Christ. We were separated by so great a divide... and yet, in His perfect plan of salvation, we are drawn by His Spirit to the family of God.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How beautifully written. Thank you Lynne for sharing all of this with us and others. Love Mom Liptak

Anonymous said...

That was the perfect thing for me to read this morning! Thanks! Especially since its been 10 weeks since we fingerprinted!!! I'm sitting here crying knowing what lies ahead is joyous, yet my patience of waiting is wearing thin. Thank you for adding a smile to my face.

Lynne said...

Kayce, I'm glad my words are encouraging. I know the wait is long, but you know it will end wonderfully! The not knowing exactly when is the hardest, isn't it? God has your daughter all picked out for you, and you will get her at just the right time.