Wednesday, October 05, 2005

A New Name


First of all, I must thank so many of you who have been posting comments and emailing us about Gwen. Your encouragement and love is so precious to us and I am printing out all of this affirmation for Gwen to read someday! You are all already a part of the scrapbook that I will eventually put together for her. Thank you SO much for all your love and support for our family.

Yesterday was a whirlwind of activity after the referral package arrived: phone calls, paperwork, a run to the FedEx Kinko's to mail back acceptance papers, and of course a run to Sam's Club to the photomaker machine... had to have my 8x10 and a page of wallets of our girl!

But before that package came... oh my, were we antsy! Scott had already called me at 9:30 a.m. to see if it had arrived, and continued to check in every hour and a half or so. The kids and I did our morning of schoolwork with one ear always straining for the screeching brakes of a UPS truck stopping by our driveway. At one point Seth slipped outside and rang the doorbell to trick me! Right before lunch I spoke on the phone with a girl with whom I have been exchanging emails, who is with Children's Hope also and right at the same point as us. She and I chatted for about ten minutes, wondering when our packages would come and how many more minutes or hours it would be until we saw our daughters' faces. While the kids and I were eating lunch, a playmate of Madelyn's from down the street rang the doorbell and we all jumped! But no UPS man yet. I knew it HAD to come, the agency overnights the referral packages, but it was sheer torture waiting to see that picture! By mid-afternoon Madelyn and I were in on her bed, reading a book which is coincidentally about a mom going to China to get her daughter and the special blanket she takes to her. Midway through the book, we heard the tell-tale screeching brakes. "I think it's here!" My heart started pounding... Seth got the door and the package. I held it for a minute... where should we sit to open it? I decided on the family room floor. We got it open... and there she was! What an amazing moment it was to see this little stranger and realize that she is the one we've had in our hearts for the last year. Overwhelming! Then the calls to Scott, scanning the pictures in and emailing them to him began. Visits from dear friends to share our joy. A whirlwind.

And so last night, Scott and I sat across the kitchen table from each other with the acceptance papers between us. We fill in the spaces: Child's name, Child's Birth date, parent's names, passport numbers, etc. Then at the end of the form, the last space says: New Name. It caught me off guard a little bit. We were choosing Wang Yu's new name. Gwendolyn Yu Sarah Liptak, I wrote out. It gave me a little shiver, that New Name space. I remember a Bible verse about a new name... what is it? I looked it up tonight. It is in Revelations 2:17~

"To him who overcomes I will give some of the hidden manna. I will also give him a white stone with a new name written on it."

I really don't know exactly what this verse means. But I guess that maybe someday in heaven we'll have a new name? A name given to us by the Father who has adopted us as sons.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I cry with every new blog entry I read. It's like the same rush of feelings when you hear your baby's first cry isn't it? We'll be praying that Gwen senses the same excitement in her heart and that when she sees you for the first time she'll have one of those "ah-hah" moments and realize this is what she's been longing for!!!
A note for Gwen...We are so excited to meet you and have been praying for you since we first heard you'd be joining the Liptak family. I have told Kylia about her new friend Gwen who she will be meeting soon! Shane, Wendy & Kylia

Donna said...

How exciting to see another baby Gwendolyn! She's adorable too! Big hugs from one Gwen mommy to another!

Anonymous said...

Liptaks: I enjoyed peeking into that day you were awaiting the arrival of THE package with Gwen's pictures! Would love to have been there with you when it arrived.

Gwen, Grandpa and I love you and look forward to looking into your face and just enjoying who God has made you to be. We welcome you into our family! God has given you some of the best parents I know! Love, Grandma

Anonymous said...

I am so excited for you all, my only sadness is that you are too far away! It would be fun to celebrate in person with you. I have a little message for Gwen~ I wrote a note to your sister Madelyn when she was just a little baby (at her baby shower). The note told of how dear her mommy and daddy were to me and what awesome people they were. I thought I just might write you one too. You see your mom is one of the most Godly people I know. I have known her since we were in the 8th grade-that is along time. She has been one of my very best of friends. The Lord has truly worked a miracle placing you right smack in the middle of a loving supportive family with grandmas, grandpas, aunts, uncles and cousins all loving Jesus with their whole hearts. You have two awesome brothers who will guard over you and a sister that will be your very best friend. How amazing is God! Anyways- I hope I can get to know you as well as I know your siblings,they are like family to us and you are too now. I hope that someday when you are old enough to read all the things your mom and dad are putting together for you, you will above all be walking with Jesus just like your mom and dad! Can't wait to meet you face to face! Love- Mrs. Sauer