Thursday, September 22, 2005

Revisiting the Quilt

This evening I decided to work on Gwen's quilt again. I wanted to stitch the corners of the binding down more tightly. I sat in the boys' room and worked on it while Scott began reading "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" to the kids before bed. It was a very nice combination, to be listening to the story and sewing. I read aloud to the kids so much throughout our school day, that actually being read aloud to is really a treat! Anyway, there I was, working on the quilt. After the chapter was finished, Caleb noticed and asked me what I was doing. I explained about the binding. Seth said, "I think you should keep working on the quilt until Gwen comes."

I like this idea. It makes me feel closer to her. It's really why I began the project in the first place, to be doing something to make me feel closer to her.

Last weekend our family went to southern Illinois to visit some of my dad's family, including his mother, who is nearly 97 years old. Gwen will be her seventh great grandchild, followed closely after by her eighth, Sarah and Shann's little girl coming in February. My grandma is pretty much a saint as far as I can tell, and I count it a privilege to be with her every time I get the chance. I had been writing to her about the quilt's progress over the summer, and took it with me to show it to her last weekend. Not only is she an amazingly faithful woman of God, but she is also a very accomplished seamstress and has tried and excelled at about every type of needlecraft there is. She kindly praised my quilt, overlooking the unmatched seams and instead commenting on how cozy the chennile pieces made it. I showed her how I had machine quilted around the inside of some of the quilt blocks, and did she think I should do more of them? Oh yes, it will strengthen the quilt if you do, she said.

So now I have more to do on the quilt. I'm glad, because Gwen's not here yet.

No comments: