Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Winding Down


Good-byes are hard.  Seems like we've been saying a lot of them.  We said good-bye to Caleb at the airport last week.  We've said good-bye at church and small group and at dinners and coffees and parties and last walks and bike rides. 
Our house has been empty, save our beds and a few other random pieces of furniture, since last Wednesday.  I feel like we are in an extended state of flux.  I told Seth last night that I'm sorry our life is so weird right now... I need to embrace it because we'll be in transition in some form for a while yet.  In many ways I want to leave Shanghai now, this morning, to move on, to move towards some order in our lives again.  But this is a sweet time in its own way...
I'm sorting through the last items in my pantry, leaving things outside my upstairs neighbor's door multiple times a day.  Scott is working steadily at closing bank accounts, phone contracts, and utility bills.  I need to pick up all our records at the doctor, fill out the withdrawal paperwork at school, and host Gwen's good-bye party this afternoon.  Seth gave his portfolio presentation at school this morning, reflecting on his goals for the year in several areas and how he has met them.  I loved hearing him.  He's a confident speaker.   Never mind that all his dress clothes had been packed by the movers last week so he had to borrow dress pants from a friend this morning... it worked.  :-)
I'm getting things settled for our pets, finding places for them to stay until they leave, a few days after us.  Arranging accomodations and rides for animals seems to add to the crazy...  but I am thankful they will be able to join us back to the US.
 So many people we love...
Trying to process all of this, thoughts and emotions are swirling... its not my first time to move, and I know moving is a common experience for so many of us.  I want to help my family process this all well.  I want to process it well myself and some moments of these last days I'm doing better than others.  Knowing that God is behind us and before us, and that His hand rests on our heads helps so very much. 

Wish I could tie these thoughts up neatly, but instead I just get them out.  It will take a while to mentally and emotionally sort all we have experienced and are now experiencing as we leave.  I love the Dr. Suess quote I've seen several places recently, "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."  I am very glad that China has happened to us.  :-)



3 comments:

Jennifer J said...

What a bittersweet time this must be. We will have you in our thoughts & prayers during this time. As you wave goodbye, know that there are many open arms to welcome you back to the U.S. K is looking forward to seeing Miss G when you are settled and have a moment to breathe!

Rebecca said...

Bless you. You're doing a good job, Lynne. An excellent job.

Tracy said...

Feeling this with you... but Dr. Suess has it so very right!! Hugs and God's speed!!