Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Transitions

Yep, it's a Shanghai photo.  We may be in the US now, knee deep in all the tasks that come with returning after five years away, but China is still in us.  It will be, I reckon, for a long time.  Probably forever.  I can't know that now, less than a week removed from it, but somehow I can't imagine it not being a part of me always. 

It's so good to be here.  The sky is blue, blue, blue.  Coming from the perpetual smog that is the Shanghai sky, I love this blue.  I love driving my own car!  I love reconnecting with our sweet neighbors who have welcomed us as if we never left.  I love the ease of asking for help in a store- surprise, the clerks speak my language!  I love fast internet.  I love having virtually everything I could ever need so readily available.

We are in transition right now.  We are in transition because we are sleeping in a hotel at night, but by day are working in our yard and doing laundry in our house as it is being painted and carpeted.  We are living out of suitcases as we wait for our shipments to arrive.  We are getting US phones set up.  Today I set up the rental of a 96 gallon trash can for use at our home (don't ask!).  We are slowly recovering from jet lag.  We are eating our meals out, as all our kitchen stuff is somewhere en route to us. 

Someone asked me yesterday how we are adjusting.  Really?  We had been in the US less than 48 hours.  How can I know this?  I don't know if we will know this for sure in a month, or even six months.  I do know that God has been so faithful to bring people to us, to show us that He sees us and is walking with us.  I know that Gwen played at a friend's house today, and that Madelyn had her arm around a friend when I picked her up from the all day junior high program at church this week, the one I signed her up for online months ago.  I know that a neighbor hung a Welcome Home sign across our house.  I thought we didn't have any connections here anymore, but God knew differently.  He saved them for us.

So yes, China is in my heart.  I know I will continue to grieve the loss of our life there as time goes by.  So good to be in Chicago though, good to be in our house, even if it's only during the day for now. Good to be in practically the same time zone as our families.  Good to see the sky.  It's all good.

4 comments:

sarah said...

We are so happy you're home!

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written. We are very blessed by the facted that you allowed us to see and experience life in China with you. We will always remember our two visits
there.

It's wonderful to have you back in
Chicago though.

mom

Jason and Lisa said...

You have come home to a good thing!

Rebecca said...

So glad you're back, dear friend. Transitions always take a different time than we expect, and yes, I think you're right: China will always be with you. So glad you were there.